Wednesday, August 29, 2018

COMICS IN REVIEW: THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN MARVEL #2

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I am writing for the website COMICONVERSE. I have been covering the current comic books from Marvel Comics and BOOM! Studios such as Doctor Strange and Kong of Skull Island.

For myself and anyone else interested I am documenting each of my articles here at Blood Work.

If you haven't checked out this latest article here you go!





 Captain Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel characters, I'm not talking Carol Danvers necessarily, but the first Captain Marvel: Mar-Vell of the Kree. The whole reason why I even showed any interest in Carol Danvers was because of her connection to Mar-Vell, beginning as one of his supporting cast, having his powers copied onto her, and then becoming a hero all her own after. She's carrying on Mar-Vell's legacy. Of course over the years I've come to like her as a character all her own, her 50 issue run as Ms. Marvel by Brian Reed being probably my favorite stuff of hers.

When she became Captain Marvel she received another big push by Marvel, or that's what they wanted us to believe. I've been reading her Captain Marvel books since the beginning and they are mostly a constant source of frustration with me. Since 2012 the Captain Marvel books have either had good writing but bad (in my opinion) artwork or bad writing and good artwork or bad writing and bad artwork. Rarely has their been good writing with good artwork. It's been rebooted and restarted more times than I can recount (actually I can) but yet Marvel keeps on reviving it (but they let several really great books lapse after one go... ARG!!! Sorry, but you see what I mean by frustrating).

I'd call my relationship with Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel a love/hate relationship but it's been more hate than love over the last six years. But I still want it to be good. I also want it to explore her connection with Mar-Vell and the Kree more (partly why I keep hanging on).

Anyway, Captain Marvel was cancelled yet again earlier this year. After a few months off the series has been revived again... kind of. The Life of Captain Marvel is a mini series as opposed to a full blown ongoing series, but it acts as a magnum opus to the previous story begun almost two years ago by writer Margaret Stohl. And Marvel has finally given the book a decent artist. 

I'm hopeful but it's only issue #2 so far. There are still three more issues left for this to be either the greatest Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel story ever or to be another disappointment. I'm hopeful though.

Check out my full review by clicking on the link above

Check out my other articles for ComiConverse linked below!

THE INFINITY ENTITY


DECODING THE DnA OF GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (PART 3)
DECODING THE DnA OF GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (PART 2)
DECODING THE DnA OF GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (PART 1)




1 comment: