Thursday, March 29, 2018

COMICS IN REVIEW: DOCTOR STRANGE ~ DAMNATION #3

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I am writing for the website COMICONVERSE. I have been covering the current comic books from Marvel Comics and BOOM! Studios such as Doctor Strange and Kong of Skull Island.

For myself and anyone else interested I am documenting each of my articles here at Blood Work.

If you haven't checked out this latest article here you go!
 
 
 
 
 
My two favorite corners of the Marvel Universe are the Cosmic Realms and the Supernatural/Horror Realms (unsurprising to those who've been reading this blog, I'm sure). As I've been saying for quite some time, Marvel's supernatural characters are in dire need of repair. Despite some efforts in the past, this realm has yet to recover from the comic book market crash of the mid 1990's.

A prominent showcasing like Doctor Strange: Damnation is just what these characters need. And the writing by Nick Spencer and Donny Cates is quite good. But, if I'm being candid, Marvel has shot this book down themselves with the artists they've assigned to the book. The artwork lacks broad appeal (superficially speaking, it's not that pretty). Both Rod Reis and Szymon Kudranski have more artistic talent than I ever will, but it isn't the kind of art Marvel or DC would typically employ for an event book.
 
 Call me a pessimist, but taking one look at the art, I know this book will fail. If the art were by, say, Mike Deodato Jr. or David Marquez or a similar talent then this book and these characters would at least have a chance. Marvel assigning such stylized artists as Reis and Kudranski tells me that they have no faith in the book and aren't willing to spare one of their top talents.

Why even spend the resources, Marvel, if you're just going to kill it outright with highly stylized art?

Looks like us fans of Marvel horror/supernatural will have to wait longer still for Marvel to actually give these characters a decent showcasing again. For me, I'll buy every book tying into Damnation and support these characters the best I can. But I may be the only one.

Check out my full review by clicking on the link above
 
Check out my other articles for ComiConverse linked below!
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment