Tuesday, November 20, 2018

COMICS IN REVIEW: THANOS ~ THE INFINITY CONFLICT

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I am writing for the website COMICONVERSE. I have been covering the current comic books from Marvel Comics and BOOM! Studios such as Doctor Strange and Kong of Skull Island. And really anything I want to review.

For myself and anyone else interested I am documenting each of my articles here at Blood Work.

If you haven't checked out this latest article here you go!
 
 
 
 
 
 
The second chapter of Jim Starlin's final Thanos story has come. In case you didn't know, Jim Starlin has cut ties with Marvel Comics. Basically he had given Marvel the details of this current Thanos trilogy and then Marvel green lighted another Thanos story by a different writer which contained many big parallels. And as it would happen, this other Thanos story would debut before Starlin's. Basically Marvel undercut Jim Starlin big time. So I can't blame him being pissed and severing ties with Marvel, but I am very sad that we won't be getting any more Thanos stories by Thanos' creator and primary architect of 45 years. 
 
45 YEARS, PEOPLE!
 
No one writes Thanos like Jim Starlin. Starlin imbues Thanos with depth and complexity. There are subtleties of character that went unnoticed by a younger me and became apparent when I reread the stories as an adult. It's one of the reasons why I love the character as much as I do. The more I dig into Thanos' character the more I find. Sadly most other writers miss these aspects of the Mad Titan rendering him rather one-dimensional. I still enjoy those stories too (some of them are among my favorite Thanos stories) but when a new story from Jim Starlin surfaces my excitement is tenfold.
 
 The Infinity Conflict is no exception. Starlin displays Thanos like never before: a slave unable to exert his own will or control his actions. The character is further evolved along with Adam Warlock and others in this story. And it parallels elements from one of my favorite Marvel cosmic stories, QUASAR: COSMOS IN COLLISION by Mark Gruenwald and Greg Capullo. Not to mention Starlin's signature esoteric and totally cosmic style.

In short, I am loving it. But as this is the second part of a trilogy, a lot is now riding on the finale. When the third part arrives I really hope it delivers.
 
Check out my full review by clicking on the link above

Check out my other articles for ComiConverse linked below!
 
 
INFINITY COUNTDOWN: DARKHAWK #1

INFINITY COUNTDOWN #1



THANOS: THE INFINITY SIBLINGS

THE INFINITY ENTITY

THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN MARVEL #2
 
DECODING THE DnA OF GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (PART 3)
DECODING THE DnA OF GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (PART 2)
DECODING THE DnA OF GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (PART 1)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment