Tuesday, February 13, 2018

COMICS IN REVIEW: SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE #5

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I am writing for the website COMICONVERSE. I have been covering the current comic books from Marvel Comics and BOOM! Studios such as Doctor Strange and Kong of Skull Island.

For myself and anyone else interested I am documenting each of my articles here at Blood Work.

If you haven't checked out this latest article here you go!
 
 
 
 




Spirits of Vengeance comes to a close almost as quickly as it started. I must admit that this book was better than I had expected it to be, which is great! Marvel must've felt that sales just wouldn't be there for the book and instead of making it an ongoing it was demoted to "mini series." It's such a shame because there are so few books from Marvel that feel like this or feature these characters in their proper setting, namely a horror setting. For years we only received characters like Daimon Hellstrom in other books like Venom or Fearless and as a result he felt only half realized or barely utilized.

 Hellstrom's guest appearances in New Avengers by Bendis were "less than satisfying" to put it mildly. And Jason Aaron's use of Hellstrom was somewhat "anomalous" both in writing and art. To sum it up this is the best Hellstrom has been depicted in a LONG time. Loved it. And Satana too was great here as opposed to her "anomalous" depiction by Jason Aaron earlier this year. It seems Jason Aaron likes these characters but for some reason writes them in strange ways (ways that don't jive with continuity very well or with their character personalities).

Anyway, this book is good! I'd be very happy if Marvel made a sequel story. And I'd be ecstatic if they decided to actually turn it into a regular monthly ongoing title.

 
For my full review click on the link above
 
Check out my other articles for ComiConverse linked below!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment