Tuesday, December 26, 2017

COMICS IN REVIEW: ROYALS #12

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I am writing for the website COMICONVERSE. I have been covering the current comic books from Marvel Comics and BOOM! Studios such as Doctor Strange and Kong of Skull Island.

For myself and anyone else interested I am documenting each of my articles here at Blood Work.

If you haven't checked out this latest article here you go!







 The latest comic book following the Inhuman royal family, ROYALS, has come to a close. And with it perhaps the end of Marvel's Inhumans line of book (at least in these current books).

So, I'm a huge Marvel cosmic fan. I love the outer space stuff like Silver Surfer, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, and all that good stuff. I feel the Inhumans are at their best when they're set amongst the stars and presented as cosmic players themselves. I personally feel that the Inhumans are wasted when they're forced to be on Earth. 

With Royals the Inhuman royal family was once again sent off into outer space on a mission to find the beings who created Terrigen and the Kree species. The characters underwent major redesigns courtesy of artist Jonboy Meyers and Al Ewing took them on one of the most far out adventures they've ever had. I was onboard with this new interpretation as I felt the then current Inhumans books needed a change of pace. After issue #2 of Royals there was an artist disruption. Jonboy left the book and for a few issues the art team was inconsistent. And the writer was doing some crazy things with the story. All this made me more than a little unsure of this book and how it would ultimately shape up.

Now, it is finished. For the last several issues there has been a consistent art team. And writer Al Ewing brings it all together in this final issue in a mind blowing way. If this final issue had sucked I'd probably be singing a different tune about this volume as a whole. But this creative team nailed this final issue and created a truly special book.

There will be one more Inhuman royal family book, INHUMANS: JUDGEMENT DAY. This book will act as the grand finale to Royals and possibly the Inhuman royal family as we know them. I still wish this book had had a stable art team for all twelve issues but as is the book came together strong for the last several issues.

Anyway, click the links above for my full review.


Check out my other articles for ComiConverse linked below!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment