Wednesday, July 10, 2019

MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE ROUND UP: THE BEST AND WORST OF PHASE THREE

THE BEST AND WORST OF...

Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has come to an end with the release of SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME. Eleven movies in total, Phase Three was Marvel's most ambitious phase by far, nearly as many films as Phase One and Phase Two combined in only four years. Never before has one franchise produced so many films in such a short amount of time. And if Phase Four is just as long, if not more, then in a few years this will be the biggest film franchise in cinema history. Until then, James Bond, Zatoichi, and Godzilla remain the top franchises (in terms of number of films).

I have been a reader of Marvel Comics since I was a kid. I've invested a great deal of time, money, thought, and commitment into these characters and worlds therein. As such I've developed my own personal preferences in characters and stories over the years. All of my prior knowledge of the Marvel comics universe has both helped and hindered my enjoyment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in some expected and unexpected ways. And then there's the high quality marks and precedents set by Marvel Studios themselves with past films which have shaped my opinions of the films that have come after.

And since this is the internet, the place where everybody has a voice and an opinion on everything, here are my thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Three! As you can imagine there are going to be quite a few discrepancies between my favorites and yours and that of the critics and pop culture in general. To make things worse I also reserve the right to change my mind at a later date too.

But before we get into all of that, let's recap which films comprise all of Phase Three:
This blog began in 2014, Blood Work's first MCU film review being the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie from that year. 2019 marks the first time that Blood Work has kept up with an entire phase from Marvel Studios. As such, we won't go into full reviews of each film here as we list our favorites. Check out our individual film reviews for our long-winded over-inflated opinions! We'll try to provide a brief coherent summary of why we've placed the films in the order we have here and why we prefer some over others.

DISCLAIMER!

Before we begin let's make one thing clear: THESE ARE OUR PREFERENCES! Because we don't prefer one over another doesn't mean that one film is truly better than another. We're not saying any of the movies here are bad or that anyone else is wrong for liking something different. I will try to keep the reasons for why we prefer the films that we do over others as coherent as possible, but we make no promises 😉

On with the list already!

THE WORST


#11
AVENGERS: ENDGAME

Fresh in my mind and still aboard the "hate train," my feelings toward this movie haven't gotten better. Putting aside the egregious adaptation of the source material and my own fanboy "hopes and wants" for the film, this movie still lands as one of the most poorly written entries in the entire MCU. Plot holes and inconsistencies galore place this film as my least liked among Phase Three. Then there's the unbalanced character treatment (some characters are illogically favored over others) and employing the dumbest plot devices Marvel has ever used (i.e. the fact that a rat is the true hero of this film! And that's just the tip!). All this is to say that even when I put away all of my personal fanboy baggage this movie still has far more problems than most MCU films.

But, the fact that this movie works at all is a miracle. Endgame is an unprecedented film event that may or may not be repeated again. Marvel Studios did something truly remarkable here (although it could've been done better) and is one helluva achievement. Perhaps the strongest aspect of this film are the character beats and emotion conveyed to the audience. Those heartfelt "moments" and long standing character beats are felt and resonate with the audience. It's like they knew they had a terrible story so they cashed in all their chips on connecting with the audience emotionally to distract from how lame the story was. And Nebula, oh how I love Nebula, is treated so well and goes through one of the best character arcs in the film. Nebula is perhaps the shining aspect of the film for me.

Anyway, even though my love for this film is rapidly diminishing, there are still some great things in this movie. But just like the ensemble treatment of the characters, this movie is terribly unbalanced, the balance skewing towards more failings than successes in my eyes. But I have been told by optometrists that my vision is 20/200 in one eye, so...

For my full long-winded review click the following link: AVENGERS: ENDGAME






#10
CAPTAIN MARVEL

Captain Marvel is the one film on this list that doesn't feel like a Phase Three film, but rather a Phase One film. It feels like a generic origin that plays it safe rather than going for something truly wild and amazing. A "by the numbers" super hero origin film if you like, which isn't bad, but doesn't showcase how far the genre has come unlike Black Panther. The world building is subpar (especially when compared to Black Panther's world building achievement) and the continuity with the rest of the MCU is sketchy at best (especially when compared with the Spider-Man films). Other than that, this movie tells a good story and has some strong character moments.

There's also the hump you have to get over of another egregious treatment of the source material. To me, Captain Marvel feels analogous to the first Captain America, both in terms of placement/release stratagem and assemblage. The film feels obligatory and largely unnecessary to the MCU at the moment. Captain Marvel is in the same position as Captain America was in after the first Avengers film: she's merely there. If Captain Marvel is to go on to mean something important (aside from the obvious agenda/need for female super heroes) her next film needs to be of WINTER SOLDIER caliber.

For my full review click the following link: CAPTAIN MARVEL 






#9
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

 This film is probably the strongest example of how knowing the source material is a massive hindrance rather than a boon. I love the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics, so much so that I really have a hard time enjoying these films. Reading the comics will only detract from the experience. If I knew nothing of the comics I bet I'd enjoy these films far more. Aside from that, I do love what has been done with Nebula (she is my favorite aspect of the film). I love the inclusion of Mantis and Pom Klementieff's performance. And I thought they did the best translation of Ego to the screen that they could've done. But the adaptation of the Guardians 3000 is gawd-awful (don't get me started!).

Aside from my personal trouble with getting past the adaptation of the source material, my dislike of this film stems from other aspects as well. As an ensemble piece Vol. 2 isn't nearly as balanced as Vol. 1. While every character is given moments to stop and contemplate, really dive in to who they are (which is a strength of this film), many characters contribute little to the plot and some are completely ineffectual to the film's outcome. There's also the fact that all the progress of the characters from first film has to be repeated. They have to learn to work together... again. They have to learn to trust each other... again. And there's more repetition as well. Aside from Nebula this film feels like a lot of wheel spinning. The humor feels annoyingly forced, especially with Rocket and the Ravagers.

For my full review click the following link: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2







#8
THOR: RAGNAROK

Coming off of the first Thor film and followed by Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok presents the audience with a jarring tonal shift. This radical departure from the previous two films was obviously intentional (a response to the negativity surrounding the first two films from the online community no doubt). As a result this is either your favorite Thor film or your most reviled Thor film. For me it's the latter. Marvel took what was a serious fantasy/sci-fi epic and leaned hard into the inherent absurdity of such a story when viewed from the outside through cynical unimaginative eyes. It embraces the absurdity, sure, but still feels irreverent to the source material, not to mention the actual Norse mythology.

The movie is loads of fun and there is no other movie quite like it outside of the 80's (makes me think of KRULL or MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE). I do enjoy the "FLASH GORDON" style, music, and colors. I like the use of Led Zeppelin. I love the Jack Kirby heavy design of the planet Sakaar. I hate the nihilistic destruction of most of Thor's supporting cast. And I kinda hate how Ragnarok was ultimately treated as a comedy rather than an apocalypse. I also don't care for Hulk's portrayal or such a loose adaptation of the comic story PLANET HULK. In trying to adapt both Ragnarok and Planet Hulk, the filmmakers weren't able to do either story justice. I'm totally cool with Thor going into outer space and having a cosmic adventure (which he has been known to do once in a while). But ultimately Thor, after this film, feels like he's become just another comedic character amidst an ever-growing crowd of comedic characters.

I wish Marvel would've said, "Screw the online haters, let's have a serious MAD MAX style apocalyptic finale and deliver a cohesive, consistent trilogy." Clearly that's not what they said.

For my full review click the following link: THOR: RAGNAROK








#7
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

The whole basis of this movie is flawed and not something I care for. The way the blame is placed on the heroes, the Sokovia Accords, and the super hero registration doesn't make much sense. Then there's the nonsensical adding of Spider-Man to Tony's team (a non-registered, untrained, child hero) and Ant-Man to Cap's team (a guy who just got on the right side of the law, trying to do right by his family, now breaking major international laws on a whim). Okay, there's a lot in this movie that makes no sense, but I'm going to straight up admit that I love the action in this movie. Shallow, yes. But, wow, is the action ever so intense. Few others in the MCU have managed to achieve such a level in their filming of the action sequences. I like how this film ultimately becomes about Bucky and less about the Sokovia Accords by the end. I really enjoyed seeing Baron Zemo as the grand architect of it all, but yet he's not completely evil either. And I love seeing the sheer number of characters present, most of which are depicted very well.

Vision is perhaps the only character here that isn't treated well. It bothered me back when this movie came out (and still bothers me now) how Vision does very little during the massive airport battle. Everything is setup prior in the film for Vision to play out like he should've (i.e. Vision by himself takes out all of Cap's people before any damage can be done. This leaves Wanda as the only one strong enough to lock him in a stalemate necessitating the others to fight). This clued me into a failing of this particular team of filmmakers: they don't know how to handle high power-level characters. They find ways to sideline stronger characters so the weaker characters are given more display (this tactic of theirs runs through both Infinity War and most rampantly through Endgame).

This movie has a lot of failings, but it is still quite entertaining. That action is hard to beat.

For my full review click the following link: CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR








#6
SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

Fresh on my mind from having just seen it a week ago, I really enjoyed this film. I loved the humor, I loved the character balance and treatment. And I loved how it incorporated the continuity. Admittedly I am not much of a Spider-Man fan in the comics. As a result I didn't have a lot of that "comics fanboy baggage" going into the movie as I did with the previous films on this list. Over the years I've come to realize that I enjoy, not all, but most Marvel films if I don't have an attachment to them from the comics.

There isn't much at all that I can point to and say, "I wish they wouldn't have done that," or "I hated that." I truly enjoyed nearly 100% of this movie. I wish I had more to say here. What I do have to say will just be repeated in the next entry on the list. Check out my full review for a little more detail on my thoughts of this movie.

For my full review click the following link: SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME






#5
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

With Homecoming and Far From Home, to me these movies are nearly equal in quality. They're both amazing (as they should be). I love this new approach to the Spider-Man character. It feels fresh compared to the films that have come before. I love how they continue to introduce new villains rather than try a rehash of villains already featured in past films. And I love how Spider-Man is placed in the grand scheme of the MCU, a street level hero who's in over his head most of the time. For a super hero, he's very human, awkward, and flawed. He rarely nails it on the first try and really has to fail in order to know how to win. A lot of the time I suck at life too. It's wonderful seeing Marvel's most popular character depicted in such a way.

What really stands out with both Homecoming and Far From Home for me is how they take full advantage of the MCU world when crafting their story. No other films in the MCU wedge themselves between so many different elements of the continuity and (largely) pull it off. Captain Marvel's continuity was sketchy at best. Both of these Spider-Man films pull it off masterfully. I've come to realize that working within a greater continuity is a skill, one that these filmmakers are very adept at. Sadly not all of the MCU filmmakers are. What ultimately places Homecoming ahead of Far From Home, for me, is Michael Keaton's performance as the villain. Who'd have thought that the Vulture, THE VULTURE, would be such a wonderfully realized character.

For my full review click the following link: SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING







#4
BLACK PANTHER

Perhaps the best example of all of Marvel's films for amazing world building is none other than Black Panther. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie and felt like I had been transported to another world. It felt like I was a kid again watching Star Wars for the first time. The different tribes of Wakanda, the rituals, the dancing, music, and dress, all of it adds to something that feels truly authentic and breathtaking. And then there's the actors and characters, all of which are simply incredible. From M'Baku, Shuri, Nakia, W'Kabi, Okoye, to Klaue and Kilmonger, all of them are endearing and wonderful. Together with the world of Wakanda, Marvel has created something truly amazing here.

If anything stunts this movie a bit, it's the story and fight scenes. The story ultimately feels like a rendition of the Lion King. There aren't really any surprises and the plot is a little predictable. It's not bad by any means, merely formulaic, which is okay. Then there's the action. The final fight between T'Challa and Kilmonger at the end is a rough looking CGI slog. Okoye has the best moments with the action but this film's action in general is mediocre at best and nowhere near the level that the Captain America team has achieved. Aside from these things I think there's a lot of great things in this movie. It'll be real interesting to see what Marvel does with a sequel.

For my full review click the following link: BLACK PANTHER







#3
DOCTOR STRANGE

If there was ever an opportunity to blow the MCU wide open in terms of what they can do and where they can go, it's with Doctor Strange. First off, the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch is picture perfect. I can't imagine someone better for the role. The fidelity to the source material in this movie is amazing. This is the movie that demonstrates how the filmmakers don't need to unabashedly desecrate the source material to make these characters work on screen. All of the characters work well in this movie too. In addition to the characters, I love the finale to this film. I love how, rather than destroying a city, the ending is about rebuilding a city. And then how Doctor Strange defeats Dormammu is brilliant. Dr. Strange wins by losing over and over again in a time loop.

What I don't like about this movie is how generically "Marvel" it feels. The "Guardians Effect" is strongly felt here with the "dad rock," bathos, and heavy humor. Scott Derrickson is a great horror director and Doctor Strange ventures quite often into the realms of horror in the comics. There was an opportunity here for Marvel to really embrace the "Strange" in Doctor Strange, but barely got their toes wet. Here's hoping Marvel will be more daring with a sequel. Other than that, this film is an incredible realization of Doctor Strange and a strong foundation for what I hope is a great and long-running series. I cannot wait for the sequel!

For my full review click the following link: DOCTOR STRANGE








#2
ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

I love this movie. Evangeline Lilly knocked my socks off as Wasp. Likewise, Hannah John-Kamen killed it as Ghost, the character herself making for a compelling story and unique action sequences too. The fight scenes were a mix of fun and badass, thrilling and inventive. Shockingly I feel this movie has some of the best action from any MCU film (I never would've guessed that). As far as the humor goes, I felt it worked very well for the most part, handled well and balanced. I also felt the ensemble-cast was handled perfectly, far better than Guardians Vol. 2 and Civil War. Everybody is given enough to do to make you care about them and we don't spend too much time with ancillary characters that don't contribute too much anyway. 

What I really love is the "high concept" sci-fi plot running through the film. Everything with the Quantum Realm is intriguing and exciting (in this film. I don't like what they did with the Quantum Realm in Endgame). The inter-cutting between the action on Earth and the trek through the Quantum Realm made for a really exciting sequence. There is very little I dislike about this movie and I'm hoping the same team of filmmakers are allowed to do a third film and complete the trilogy. Honestly, I never wanted this film, but I am so happy that it's here!

For my full review click the following link: ANT-MAN AND THE WASP








#1
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

This movie exceeded my expectations in ways I never thought it would. There are a lot of problems with this movie, I'll admit, but ultimately this film delivers on a long-standing promise. Unprecedented film franchise territory is explored here, merging at least seven different series, paying off numerous plot threads and character beats, and delivering an ending the likes of which few films prior have done. I knew what happened to half the universe after having read the comic book. But I never thought Marvel, let alone Disney, would ever go through with such a bold choice.

I'm not a fan of Thanos' white-trash, wife-beater and sweatpants design. But aside from that, I am very happy with how Thanos turned out. There are power level inconsistencies galore in this film, but ultimately things end up where they're supposed to. I used to complain about how comedy heavy the MCU films had become post Guardians Vol.1. But after so many comedies, the death and destruction on display in this film was shocking and powerful and carried the extra weight Marvel wanted. Thor returns to his pre-Ragnarok persona for a bit, which was nice. And Dr. Strange is fantastic as well with some show stealing-moments. But ultimately this film is Thanos' and he single-handedly rocks the entire MCU. As someone who loves Thanos from the comics, it was wonderful to see him portrayed so powerfully.

For my full review click the following link: AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

THE BEST

 And there you have it, my personal ranking for the phase three films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe! I am very curious to see where the next phase goes and how Marvel will even begin to try to top the INFINITY STONES saga.

What are your favorite films from Phase Three?

Let us know in the comments below!

And for more Marvel Cinematic Universe posts and top ten lists (yes, we're counting this as our top ten list for this month) check out the posts below!

THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE (MCU)



TOP TEN LISTS

TOP TEN LEAST FAVORITE HULK STORIES  
 TOP TEN INCREDIBLE HULK VILLAINS  


 
 
TOP TEN ACTION MOVIE HEROES   TOP TEN GREATEST TURTLES TOP TEN GODZILLA MOVIES
TOP TEN JOHN CARPENTER FILMS  
TOP TEN CHILDHOOD CARTOONS
 
TOP TEN FAVORITE NES GAMES
TOP TEN SNES GAMES

 
AND HERE'S TO A WONDERFUL PHASE 4 OF THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment