Thursday, March 22, 2018

BLOODY GOOD TELEVISION: NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES ~ JESSICA JONES SEASON 2 (2018)


The first phase of Netflix's Marvel shows has finished. Having watched everything, Daredevil Season 1 through Punisher Season 1, I can do a "Best and Worst of Phase 1" list here soon. As with the Marvel Cinematic Universe there are films that I really like, just like, and try hard to tolerate. Of all the shows and their heroes Jessica Jones was the hardest for me to relate to and the most difficult for me to like. And I think that was all by design. Netflix's Jessica Jones is a very specific person, a person to act as a voice for the voiceless. I'm glad she can act as that voice even if all that was lost on someone like me.

For me it was David Tennant's Kilgrave that kept me watching. The villain of Season 1 was so terrifying and made the narrative so compelling. And yes, I thought Krysten Ritter's acting was very good, despite the protagonist herself being rather abrasive and kinda thorny, like a porcupine. Admittedly I haven't read much of Jessica Jones in the comic books so I don't have a built in knowledge base like some other characters nor a prior appreciation for the character. So, my entire relationship with this character is with this show. I don't know if that helps or hurts my feelings toward the character. 

Now the second phase of Netflix's Marvel programs begins with Jessica Jones Season 2. I'm actually surprised it's taken Netflix this long to get a Season 2 going but if they were to get all their heroes a first season before the Defenders, well, we received JJS2 as soon as possible.

THE PLOT

Everyone saw Jessica Jones snap Kilgrave's neck. Those who witnessed Kilgrave's powers see Jessica as a hero. The majority of people see her as a murderer. Having killed someone has pushed Jessica's drinking even further and has caused her to alienate everyone close to her. A powered person named the Whizzer comes to her for help and Jessica discovers she wasn't the only one given powers by IGH. When the Whizzer ends up dead Jessica finds herself in the middle of a series of murders targeting powered people. As the killer gets closer Jessica's whole world is turned on its head.

THE GOOD

The Acting. I have to hand it to Netflix and whoever they have casting actors for these shows. The performances in this season are stellar across the board. Krysten Ritter is absolutely convincing as she displays quite the wide range of emotions. And Carrie-Anne Moss was surprisingly compelling, not that she's a bad actress, but in that I never expected her character to take such a prominent role. And the surprise return of David Tennant was joyous. Probably my favorite episode of this season is Kilgrave's return.

To Kill or Not To Kill? Perhaps the major narrative thread running through the entire season is that of Jessica grappling with having killed of her own volition. Random people call her a killer throughout the series and we see her struggle with either denying or accepting these accusations. This plot is diluted in the middle but then comes back with a vengeance near the end in one of the season's most striking moments. The way the writers explored this thread was wonderful and they did a far better job than Daredevil Season 2 did with the whole "To Kill or Not To Kill?" struggle.

I actually really enjoyed the Alisa storyline as well. I thought the Alisa plot pushed Jessica's character into new territories and naturally advanced the character in some much needed ways. The complications that arise because of Alisa make for compelling storytelling too. It also revealed the secrets of Jessica's past, questions I wanted to know the answers to. I felt this plot thread was a very good anchor for the season and a natural choice rather than forcing some outside element into play.

NITPICKS
(not necessarily bad things but aspects that struck me as odd)

Where in the timeline does this season take place? I don't believe the Defenders storyline was mentioned once or referenced at all. Nor were Daredevil, Luke Cage, or Iron Fist mentioned, even in passing. I'm tempted to think this season occurs before the events of Defenders, but it is never really explained. That's not a problem really, but unusual for Netflix's Marvel shows.

Was that necessary? While the acting and gravitas of Jeri Hogarth's storyline was great, I kept wondering how this was relevant to Jessica Jones or the forward momentum of the plot. There was a connection for a while when it was believed that Shane was also an IGH experiment, but then that rug is pulled out from under us. At the end Jeri is functioning like her oldself in a new office and everything seems the same just with a different name on the building, but I guess she's still sick. She seems no different from when we met her at the beginning. So... what was it all for? You could skip it all and be fine although there is some seriously good acting there.

Character Flips. At the beginning of the show Jessica is a complete mess, always drunk, kinda gross, and generally an unlikable character, while Trish is the likable one. Then later the characters flip where I hated Trish and began liking Jessica. Then there's Alisa and the super, Oscar, who start off like characters you dislike but then flip later on. Same with Dr. Malus. Malcolm is the only character who remains nearly consistent throughout. The flips aren't bad but a little overdone. And by the way, I feel they ruined Trish. They took her from one of my favorites in season 1 to maybe my most disliked character in season 2. Not cool.

Far from the source material. I know there's a divide between comic fans on this subject. Some fans feel that the source material should be honored and represented while others believe the films should do their own thing so long as the "spirit" of the character is preserved. I could go either way. Now, I don't know much about Jessica Jones' comics but I know a little about some of the other characters featured. Dr. Malus is nothing like his comic book counterpart and neither is Maynard Tiboldt (the Ringmaster, a longstanding Marvel villain). Trish is different too although we see some strides to her maybe becoming a crimefighter. Jeryn Hogarth is WAY different too.

Here's where I get confused with adaptation choices. Why say these characters are Dr. Malus, Jeryn Hogarth, Ringmaster, and whatnot if they're not even a shade of their comic characters? Just make them new characters. I know they're minor characters, but isn't that even more reason to just make them new characters for the show? The fans who don't care won't care whether it's Ringmaster or a new character. Fans who do care are just gonna get pissed off. Both groups of fans are fine with a new character. Just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, the action in this season is at an all-time low for Netflix's Marvel shows, in my opinion. Whatever, it's not a big deal for Jessica Jones. I'm convinced Krysten Ritter isn't a very physically adept actress and therefore couldn't do very good fight scenes if she tried. Did you see her run? I don't think she's ever run before in her life! I'm kidding of course, but I gave up on expecting compelling fight scenes with Jessica Jones after season 1. All I got to say is that when Iron Fist Season 2 gets here the fights better be insanely good. Same with Daredevil Season 3. And... be prepared for more uncomfortable sex scenes too. This show really makes you feel gross while watching people have sex.

THE VERDICT

Jessica Jones Season 2 keeps the same compelling drama going with some great plot threads. There's some necessary and great character development and character studies. The plot is pushed forward in natural and logical ways. And the acting from every member of the cast remains top notch. There is a rather inconsequential main plot thread you have to get through, the acting remains great despite it though. Don't expect to see the characters from the comics translated very accurately. And be prepared to love and then hate nearly every character in the show or hate them first and then love them.

Overall Ranking: 7 out of 10
Nude-O-Meter: 1 out of 10

Looking forward to Luke Cage Season 2 coming in June!

For more of my thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Marvel television shows check out these other posts below

 
And for more Marvel, DC, and comic book related movies check these out too!



 


1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how we don’t have to wait for our show to cast on television. I am glad I have an account on Netflix because I don’t get bored anymore. I found some nice shows by Andy Yeatman as well and I am planning to watch it with my kids as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete