Wednesday, August 6, 2014

SILVER TONGUED SILVER SCREEN: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY


I saw Guardians of the Galaxy three times this weekend! That being said I must say that it is a great start to a new Marvel franchise. The movie is heavy on humor (you'll laugh from start to finish), loaded with action (there's never a dull moment), and full of Marvel characters galore (there's literally like 18 preexisting Marvel comic characters in the movie)! I even found myself on the verge of tears at the line "We are Groot."



The film isn't perfect though. If you know Marvel's Cosmic Universe as well as I do then there are a lot of changes which will be hard to stomach. The first time I saw the film I felt indifferent towards it.
I remember having the same feeling after seeing The Incredible Hulk the first time (Hulk is my absolute favorite). I realized that I loved these characters so much that it was difficult for me to accept them depicted any other way save how I knew them in the comic. Once I had a day to digest and accept the changes I enjoyed the film far more the second time around. I think the film did the best possible job of introducing these characters to the largest audience possible and accomplishing financial success.


That being said I wish Drax and Gamora would have had more intensity in their performances. I loved the intensity in Nebula and Ronan although I thought both characters were wasted to a degree (Ronan should not have been defeated so easily and certainly not killed). I really wanted more of Nebula and Ronan, exploring the motivations behind Ronan's fanaticism (making him feel more three dimensional and believable). Wanted more of the Collector too (another waste of a great actor). Thanos too lacked the dark menace I wanted to see (he just didn't feel as epic nor as evil as he could have). Yondu's Yakka Arrow was brilliantly realized but he himself was barely a shade of who the character should be.



Loved Rocket and Groot! Star Lord was funny but not the character I wanted more of. I understand why the film goes overboard on the humor. If you can get an audience laughing you can get them to go along with just about anything you want (and for a story as crazy as the Guardians it was a sure fire way of ensuring success with such a questionable property). But Marvel has got to start ratcheting up the tension. A story that requires the Guardians of the Galaxy should be one of universal peril, something that dwarfs the stakes that any earthbound hero deals with. And when you are introducing someone as dark as Thanos things need to feel dire. Ronan is a serious threat but the movie treats him almost like a cartoon character (again I understand why, it's a kid's movie for god's sake) but still- there's a line between doing what it takes to be successful and doing a story justice. The film seemed streamlined the hell out of (which is great for today's A.D.D. audiences but does little to create any real substance).



I hope Marvel has shaken all the laughing out of their systems and we finally get another dire epic like Captain America 2. Let's hope Avengers 2 is more serious. All in all I do really enjoy the film. It didn't have the "Wow Effect" on me like Cap 2 or Avengers but I did seriously enjoy it more the second time after the disappointment wore off. I think (hope) it is one of those films that gets better the more I watch it.



My hopes for Guardians 2: I hope they take it more seriously. I hope Gamora gets her gold circles around her eyes and shows her truly deadly side. Lose about 70% of Drax's scars/tattoos and amp up his intensity. More Nebula (I loved Karen Gillan's performance). With Thanos being in cahoots with Death let's bring back Ronan for another ride and flesh him out (Lee Pace is too good to just throw away). Increase the threat and darkness surrounding Thanos's character (make him feel scary as hell). What about the Collector's other Infinity Gem? Where the hell is that? More Collector. Soon Marvel needs to start laying the groundwork for either Captain Mar-Vell or Adam Warlock (the only men able to defeat Thanos). The Guardians need to start recruiting real power players in the next film (either Warlock, Mar-Vell, Nova ((Richard Rider)), or Quasar). And make Groot more gnarly.



Either the above requests or give us Kang The Conquerer and introduce us to the Guardians of the Galaxy from the year 3014 (the originals) and bring us a united front of both teams of Guardians (including the REAL Yondu) together to take down Kang. I'd love that 



In summary it isn't my favorite of the Marvel movies but it is one I do enjoy quite a bit.  Also, if you're worried about characters like Rocket Raccoon and Groot,,, don't be. They are the best part of the movie and easily steal the show.


Overall Ranking: 7 out of 10.

The film is good but perhaps I am a little too close to the source material to love it any more than this. Overall I think it is a worthy film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I can't wait to see what this new open door leads to.


No comments:

Post a Comment