Sunday, August 10, 2014

CLASSIC ROCK: HULK VS ABOMINATION


Ever since I was a child I have loved the battles between Hulk and his darker counterpart The Abomination. Every time these two punch it out it's a battle of epic proportions! For a while there these brawls were pretty scarce. It was either October or November of 2007 when writer Jeff Loeb killed off the Abomination. He wasn't the first writer to do it nor will he be the last, but I hated him for it (in my own angry nerd way). It has been a long 7 years but the Abomination is finally back! Sorta...

Right now there are two Hulk comic books and both at the moment are featuring brutal, groundbreaking (literally) fights between Hulk and Abomination. Writer Mark Waid and artist Mark Bagley are doing the regular HULK book in which a resurrected (in body only) Abomination returns and mops the floor with the Avengers and the Hulk combined! The battle rages through 3 issues! I approve!

Next we have another comic book currently being released called SAVAGE HULK, written and penciled by Alan Davis. This story is pretty cool because it takes place in the past, specifically after the March 1970 issue of X-Men, X-MEN #66 (a classic story in which the X-Men and Hulk first meet). This new story picks up immediately afterwards. And guess who shows up kicking ass and taking names? Emil Blonsky, The Abomination! He trashes the X-Men and then waylays the Hulk!

Hulk of course ends up winning both in the end, although Abomination abruptly disappears in the former fight, kinda leaving it at a draw. Bagley and Davis do incredible jobs with the art and I can easily say that this is the most fun I've had reading Hulk since writer Greg Pak left the book. It's been a really long time since I looked forward to reading new issues of the Incredible Hulk. I'm not quite their yet but I'm getting closer. Regardless, I have thoroughly enjoyed these two battles and will earmark them in memory as ones worthy of praise.

A Hulk vs Abomination battle is almost a right of passage for the creators. If it's done well you know you've left a worthy mark on the series. If it sucks you should leave now and never look back (I'm talking to you Jeff Loeb. Please don't touch another one of my beloved characters ever again... PLEASE!).
Mark Bagley, Alan Davis, as a Hulk reader of 26 years you guys get my seal of approval! NINJAMITCHE SMASH!

No comments:

Post a Comment