Sunday, April 29, 2018

SILVER TONGUED SILVER SCREEN: AVENGERS ~ INFINITY WAR (2018)


Be warned: Prepare to gag on these opening statements... Feel free to skip down to the "What I Liked" portion.

Anticipation and Expectations
A partially sincere, partially sarcastic diatribe

I'm speaking only for myself of course, there have been a handful of films in my life to which I had highly anticipated. The 1998 Godzilla movie and Halloween H20 were some of the earliest, my first theatrical experiences for both franchises. And I hated them. Boy, did they let me down. The following year it was Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace. That was the first time I ever stood in a line that wrapped around the block on opening day surrounded by people in costumes. And you know what, I had a great time. I'll admit it. I really enjoyed the film at that time (I was 15). I was with good friends, we were all in great moods having a great time. I was in such a good mood nothing could've brought me down. There are more reasons why I enjoyed the film, foremost being Darth Maul and John Williams' score.

Then in 2002, after seeing the amazing Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, I was really looking forward to The Two Towers. While it didn't impress me as much as Fellowship I still really enjoyed it. Return of the King though lived up to my expectations and thensome. In 2005 the next highly anticipated film for me was Peter Jackson's King Kong. Despite what some have said I absolutely loved it and it totally lived up to the anticipation. In 2008 it was The Dark Knight, another film that met my anticipation and thensome.

Without listing them all there seems to be a 50/50 ratio of films meeting and failing my expectations. Nowadays it's "Your" fault for a film not meeting the hype or your expectation level, or so says the online community. They say that our expectations were too unrealistic and that we should've levied our enthusiasm. It is in no way the fault of the filmmakers or the marketing departments. I've long said that I am a horrible person and in essence what's wrong with the world. I guess I was right then.

What do we do when we realize that it was "our" own fault? We try not to repeat the mistake.

Ten Years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

With Iron Man in 2008 audiences everywhere were treated to the first chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. When Nick Fury appeared at the end it signaled that this was the beginning of something special. Phase One, while not all being the box office hits like the Iron Man films, set up a solid foundation and delivered a truly unprecedented film experience with The Avengers. The Avengers definitely lived up to the hype and expectations for me, although none of us knew exactly what to expect since nothing like it had been done before.

Phase Two was met with successes, surprises, and disappointments. Again, I speak for myself and no one else here. I had a similar experience to Iron Man 3 as I did with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I was in such a good mood with a good friend that I came out of that initial viewing happy. Afterwards I realized what the film was lacking and it has since become my least favorite of all of the MCU films. Thor: The Dark World however blew me away. I came out thinking it was my new favorite MCU film and I still love it to this day. Captain America: The Winter Soldier I came into with low expectations based on my feelings toward the first Captain America (not a bad movie by any means but my least favorite of Phase One). Winter Soldier, like Thor 2, blew me away and became my favorite MCU film to date. Guardians of the Galaxy I have mixed feelings towards because I know the source material so well. Avengers: Age of Ultron was one of my most highly anticipated films of my life and it did not live up to my expectations. Ultron's characterization and Hulk's treatment are the central reasons why it disappointed me. Ant-Man I had no expectations for and it turned out to be a sheer delight!

Phase Three, which we are in the middle of right now, has been interesting. It hasn't reached the highs of Phase Two or Phase One in my opinion, but neither does it have the low of IM3. It's doing a good job of mostly feeling "fair to middling." Captain America: Civil War I feel is the strongest of Phase Three so far with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 being the weakest in my opinion. Doctor Strange, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther all feel the same in that they're very good but not quite as powerful as they could've been.

Now, I realize that I am in the minority with some of my opinions and I am self aware enough to realize I have very strange and unusual tastes (as those of you who know me and read this blog can attest to). I guess that's the whole point of this blog, for me to celebrate my oddities and try my best to explain why I like what I like. Sorry, I digress...

Which Brings Us to Infinity War...

Avengers: Infinity War is here and let me say that it comes with a TON of anticipation and VERY high expectations. Now, I have been trying like hell to talk myself down, convincing myself that it's going to suck and Marvel will have their first major miss. And that they will completely miss the mark on Thanos. I'm doing what the internet is telling me to do, to set "realistic" expectations and treat this movie like it's just another movie in hopes of not getting let down. Let's face it too, Marvel's track record for nailing cosmic characters is about 50/50 with me.

But Marvel Studios isn't doing much to help me with my "realistic" expectations. Marvel Studios' President Kevin Feige is constantly saying that this film will "pay off" every Marvel film to have come before and that it will be like nothing you've ever seen before. Marvel Studios is calling this the culmination of everything they've done since 2008's Iron Man. They've been fanning the Thanos fire since 2012. They had a big Phase Three presentation with a massive promo for Avengers Infinity War at the end.

So, I ask you, just who is setting up unrealistic expectations here? Me or Marvel Studios? The internet is still going to blame me no matter what. Anyway, I'm trying to be realistic and treat this like just another ol' Marvel movie... but it's really hard not to be really excited.

I am a big Thanos fan, in case you didn't know. I am a big Jim Starlin fan (Thanos' creator and the writer of The Infinity Gauntlet). So it's really REALLY hard not to be excited about this. I have high hopes for this film. I know it probably won't exceed my love and joy for Thor 2 and Cap 2. Maybe not even Avengers or Iron Man. But I hope it's better than all of the other Phase Three movies at least. Whatever happens, life will go on and our lives will ultimately remain the same.

Oh yeah, crazy fact, Avengers: Infinity War marks the 5th Marvel Studios film to be released in under 365 days. That's five big budget blockbuster films in one, I say ONE, year. That's freaking insane... and oh so awesome! I wonder if this will be the high point for Marvel Studios' career or if the best is still yet to come? Only time will tell.

Enough Rambling!

So how was the movie? Skip the plot synopsis and find out!

THE PLOT

Thanos, an intergalactic despot burdened with a cruel destiny, has traveled the cosmos searching for and seizing Infinity Stones, relics of vast power. His purpose: to bring balance to a universe where life has grown out of control. With all the Infinity Stones Thanos will have the power to do so. Thanos' search has led him across the cosmos and eventually to Earth, a planet he has been well aware of, aware of the heroes, and what they can do. The Avengers, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and the Guardians of the Galaxy are all that stands in Thanos' way and the death of half the universe.

WHAT I LIKED

Thanos. As I've said many times, I am a big Thanos fan. Ultimately for me this film hinged on how well Thanos was portrayed. And he is incredible! In fact, Thanos is done so well that I can forgive any sort of nitpicks or shortcomings the movie may or may not have. He's unlike any villain in the MCU movies. He's complex, multifaceted, frightening, and even sympathetic. He sees himself as the hero of his own story and the only one capable of doing what's "necessary" to save the universe. Josh Brolin is incredible and the perfect actor to bring Thanos to life. What's so amazing to me about this portrayal is that I can actually point to the screen and say, "This is why I like the character from the comics." They did the comic books justice.

Balance. Balance has a deeper meaning throughout the film and is the major theme to the narrative. The balance I'm referring to is that balance struck between the dozens and dozens of characters populating this movie. Ensuring each character is done justice and receives a quality portrayal is often where ensemble films like these fail. I felt the balance between everything was incredibly well done. There wasn't a single character where I felt I wished had been portrayed better or differently. And maintaining tones from previous films, a la the Guardians of the Galaxy, was executed perfectly. When the Guardians were on screen it felt like a Guardians movie. When Black Panther was on screen it felt like Ryan Coogler's Black Panther. They also balanced the humor and severity beautifully, maybe the best of any Marvel film so far.

Now the list of things I loved: I loved The Black Order (Thanos' Children) and how scary they were. I loved the fight sequences, intense and savage like so few action films nowadays from big studios are. I loved the cameos of supporting cast members from the different films, paying off beats from previous movies. I love how fast the film travels, it's the longest of all the MCU movies but doesn't feel long at all. And the ending! Oh my gosh, the ending was everything I hoped it would be. Without droning on and on, let's put it this way: It was difficult to find something I didn't like about the movie.

I haven't felt this high after a Marvel movie since probably the first Avengers.

Preface to the Nitpicks

This movie is long (though it doesn't feel long at all). It moves a mile a minute at a breakneck pace because it is so jam-packed with story and characters. It can be a lot to process for some. Another viewing is essential to really absorbing it all, but that isn't a bad thing at all. Adding anything else to this movie may make it too much for some viewers to handle. I am not "some" viewers. Had this movie been even longer I would've been just as happy, given that the extra content hopefully would hopefully be as good as the rest of the movie that is. But still, I realize that you can't have EVERYTHING in a movie otherwise it would never end. I have tried to keep this in mind while nitpicking this film.

NITPICKS
(spoilers... but not huge spoilers)

My major beefs with Avengers: Infinity War fall on namely two things. One: the destruction of Xandar... off screen. Thanos acquires his first Infinity Stone by way of Xandar. This should be a huge moment for the story given how important Xandar was to the first Guardians of the Galaxy film. It should've also presented Thanos with a significant challenge being as he had no help from Infinity Stones to take Xandar with. Had Xandar repelled Thanos this movie would've never happened. It is hugely significant to the overall story... or not as it is merely a quick throwaway line in the film. I understand that having this content included would've made an already big film even bigger. But c'mon, acquiring every Infinity Stone in the movie was a huge moment save this one. Why leave this one out?

Power Inconsistencies. At the beginning of the movie Thanos fights Hulk one on one in hand to hand combat... and tools him like nobody has before. Even Allfather Thor (the supped up Ragnarok Thor) is laid out on death's door. But then at the end of the movie Thanos can't knock Captain America out of his way, nay, Captain America stops Thanos' hand and even halts his forward progress?! Since when is it easier to beat the Hulk and Thor than it is to beat Captain America? Thanos even has five Infinity Stones and it still looks like he's struggling against Cap. It bothered me when I saw it in the trailer and it bothers me still, but ultimately it's not that big of a deal. I'll let it slide, but it still bothers me.

And I do wish Thanos was dressed in his classic comic book attire. I don't care for the armorless look, not in the comics and not so much here. I wish he looked more like this... Not a big deal though seeing as how Thanos was otherwise perfectly portrayed in the film.

THE VERDICT

Avengers: Infinity War delivered on what Marvel promised. It is unlike any MCU film before in that the stakes are raised and the toll for failure is catastrophic. The villain, Thanos, is unlike any villain from prior MCU films and is exactly what I was craving. I am admittedly biased as Thanos is one of my top favorite Marvel characters and the story this film draws from is among my top favorite comic book stories. They nailed Thanos and they nailed this story. Without my biases though, the film is remarkably well balanced and well executed on just about every front. This may be my new favorite Marvel film.

For me personally, this film lived up to the hype and my anticipation level and I am astonished by that. Truly remarkable. I can't believe this movie did what it did. Thank you, Marvel Studios. Thank you.

Overall Ranking: 9 out of 10

For more of my thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Marvel television shows check out these other posts below

 
And for more Marvel, DC, and comic book related movies check these out too!



No comments:

Post a Comment