Friday, July 6, 2018

MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE: ANT-MAN AND THE WASP (2018)


A DIATRIBE FROM AN ANGRY FAN
(Don't read this unless you want to. Skip down to the WHAT I LIKED section)

Back when the PHASE 3 schedule was unveiled in fall of 2014 (gosh, has it been that long already?) the first Ant-Man movie hadn't been released yet and the line-up of Phase 3 films looked a bit different. Here's what the Phase 3 schedule was supposed to be:
Notice how there is NO Spider-Man: Homecoming or Ant-Man and the Wasp on the schedule. Also notice how both INFINITY WAR parts are surrounding Captain Marvel and Inhumans.

I was really excited about this. With Captain Marvel (whose original release date was supposed to be TODAY!) and Inhumans wedged between Infinity War it seemed to indicate that Marvel Studios was going full cosmic universe with their last four movies. I even imagined Captain Marvel and Inhumans really tying into Infinity War, in essence creating a four part saga against Thanos. Remember, when Marvel Studios made this announcement it was coming right off of the extremely successful original Guardians of the Galaxy movie (Marvel's first major foray into the cosmos). Seeing what they did with the Guardians made me think they could do even more amazing things with the Inhumans (and they already had an actor lobbying to play Black Bolt in Vin Diesel).

Then 2015's Ant-Man debuts which I admittedly never wanted but absolutely loved. Then 2016 happens and that web-shooting wall-crawler suddenly appears in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. Then Marvel studios changes the schedule to look like this:

Now Thor Ragarok suddenly is pushed back 5 months and Black Panther is pushed back 4 months all to accommodate ANOTHER Spider-Man movie (his seventh movie appearance for those keeping track). And then Captain Marvel is pushed back 8 months and Inhumans is DROPPED altogether in favor of a sequel to Ant-Man. The movies I was really excited for were pushed back and one was dropped entirely all for Spider-Man and Ant-Man...

A little something about me as a comic fan: I am a WEIRD comic book fan with even weirder tastes. I think Spidey is an amazing character, worthy of all the praise he receives. But he's not a character I'm personally fond of. If Spider-Man never joined the MCU I'd be just peachy (save for the fact that Morbius would then never be allowed into the MCU. That would be intolerable for me as I really want a MIDNIGHT SONS movie). And Ant-Man was NEVER a character I gave two licks about. Despite me REALLY liking the first Ant-Man film (gotta support Halloween: Curse of Michael Myers alum Paul Rudd!) I would've been fine had Ant-Man been relegated to a role not unlike Hulk, Black Widow, and Hawkeye where he just appeared in other characters' movies from then on. I personally didn't need another Ant-Man solo film.

So, with this new "amended" Phase 3 schedule... I was kind of pissed (and I was probably the only person in the world who was).

But dammit all if Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't a very enjoyable film. And now that Ant-Man and the Wasp is here... dammit all if I'm not glad it came. Yeah, I'm still pissed that Inhumans didn't get the treatment it deserves, but, man,

I loved Ant-Man and the Wasp. And I want an Ant-Man trilogy now.


ANTICIPATING ANT-MAN 2

Truthfully, I was pretty leery about Ant-Man and the Wasp. With the first Ant-Man I was stoked about the prospect of Edgar Wright doing a Marvel movie. Then he exited the project and his replacement was Peyton Reed (the director of the cheerleader extravaganza Bring It On). So with that first film I wasn't sure exactly how much of what I liked was Edgar Wright's work and how much was Peyton Reed's. Me being a fan of Edgar Wright's versus not caring much for Peyton Reed's work, I just assumed Edgar Wright had a lot to do with why I liked the first Ant-Man so much. And of course the great cast of Ant-Man as well.

After having seen Ant-Man and the Wasp I now have to apologize to Peyton Reed. I absolutely loved everything about Ant-Man and the Wasp and Edgar Wright had nothing to do with it. My hat's off to everyone who worked on Ant-Man and the Wasp. I thought it was great and among my top favorites for Phase 3. If they get the chance to make an Ant-Man and the Wasp Part 3 I'd be more than happy with Peyton Reed coming back to direct. And after seeing Ant-Man and the Wasp I would pick Peyton Reed to direct another Marvel Comics franchise as well... THE FANTASTIC FOUR. I have no doubt in my mind that Reed could make an amazing Fantastic Four film.

Until then, I am so glad Ant-Man, Wasp, Hank Pym, and the rest of these characters are receiving Grade-A treatment. So, to everybody else, go see Ant-Man and the Wasp right now!

THE PLOT

When Scott went to Germany and aided Captain America he broke the Sokovia Accords. Since returning he has been under house arrest for the last two years. He has only three days left until his house arrest is finished. If he breaks his house arrest or dons the Ant-Man suit again he'll go away for 20 years and won't be able to see his little girl, Cassie, for a long time. One night he has a dream about his time in the Quantum Realm. In his dream he sees what he believes to be Hank Pym's wife. Scott calls Hank and tells him about the dream. Later Scott feels a little sting and suddenly passes out. He wakes up inside Hank's secret lab. Hank and Hope need Scott's help but Scott can't be caught breaking house arrest. Scott has a hard choice to make. And his track record with big decisions isn't very good.

WHAT I LIKED

Everything. Ant-Man and the Wasp strikes an incredible balance between characters, thrills, comedy, and drama. All this and it still manages to maintain an even tone too! The film nails so many different elements it's astonishing. I find this the greatest achievement of the film. After how crazy busy and expertly balanced Infinity War was, Ant-Man and the Wasp feels just as busy and even more well-balanced. Whoever Marvel Studios' writer brain trust is, these people must never leave. NEVER. Marvel's writing staff is worth a hundred times their weight in gold.

Fantastic Voyage. Remember that old movie with Donald Pleasence, Fantastic Voyage, where a crew of scientists shrinks down and goes on an adventure inside the human body? I couldn't help but think of that while watching this movie. A part of the plot of Ant-Man and the Wasp revolves around them exploring the Quantum Realm. You'd think after all the weird and imaginative landscapes we've already seen in the MCU that it would be hard to capture the sense of wonder again. But the film manages to do just that. I loved the whole high concept adventure plot of the Quantum Realm. It was so interesting, exciting, and even managed to be suspenseful. It reminded me of those sci-fi adventure films I grew up on and loved so dearly from the 80's.

The Actors. Everybody was fantastic in this film! I liked everybody, even the seemingly superfluous Judy Greer and Bobby Cannavale, T.I. and David Dastmalchian. I even enjoyed Randall Park's Jimmy Woo (a golden age Marvel Comics character!). But most especially our main cast. Paul Rudd is so lovable and endearing as Ant-Man. And Evangeline Lilly is incredibly badass and wicked awesome! I loved her fight sequences and to that, the action as a whole, was amazing. And Michael Douglas and Michele Pfeiffer are so perfect as Hank and Janet that I fully support a prequel set in the 80's following just them. Laurence Fishburne too was great as Bill Foster. And GHOST really wowed me in this film too. Hannah John-Kamen blew me away. Her character is in perpetual pain and, from the moment she removes her mask, that pain shows in the actress' eyes and demeanor. She was great and so was the writing of Ghost.

Needless to say... I liked everything about this movie.

NITPICKS

Some of the humor doesn't land as well as it did in the last film. The jokes are still very good though and I don't know how they could've executed the humor any better. There's also a lot going on in this film and a ton of excitement that the movie didn't need to lean on the humor as much as the first film. Just comparing the two Ant-Man films (wow, never in my wildest dreams had I ever imagined saying that sentence) I feel the humor is stronger in the first film but that in no way means the humor in this movie is bad. Extending the comparison to the Guardians of the Galaxy films, in my opinion, I think the Ant-Man movies are WAY better in terms of humor, balance, and character treatment, especially Ant-Man and the Wasp when compared to Guardians Vol. 2. While I think the humor in the first Ant-Man is better, I feel Ant-Man and the Wasp is the superior movie of the two.

THE VERDICT

Ant-Man and the Wasp is wonderful from start to finish, in every aspect. I came out of the film grinning from ear to ear on a high. The balance of elements this movie achieves, from characters to genre blending, from drama to thrills, is astounding. Of course I've only seen the film once (and I will definitely be going again) so there may be things I missed. But as of this initial viewing I want to say this was the most fun I've had in a Marvel movie yet. After 20 films, with one... maybe two exceptions in my opinion, Marvel Studios haven't misstepped yet. If only "other" movie franchises could be as good as the Ant-Man series (I'm still shocked that I'm saying these things, but so happy about it too).

Overall Ranking: 8 out of 10

Now we have to wait 8 months for the next Marvel Studios film, Captain Marvel, the longest we've had to wait since Ant-Man to Captain America: Civil War to come out. Sigh, it's gonna be a long wait.

For more of my thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Marvel television shows check out these other posts below


 
And for more Marvel, DC, and comic book related movies check these out too!



No comments:

Post a Comment