Friday, January 12, 2018

THE 2017 BLOOD AWARDS

THE 2017 BLOOD AWARDS! 

Welcome all to the third annual BLOOD AWARDS ceremony! This is Blood Work's third full year end review where we will look back at 2017 and go over the movies, television, comic books, super heroes, giant monsters, and ninjas to have graced these blog posts over the last 12 months. We will sit in judgment once more and award the best and brightest of the last year.

Blood Work started in June of 2014 with the sole purpose of sharing my love of film, comics, kaiju, and more. That first seven months were sort of a beta test. This year marks the third full year of Blood Work. Let's kick off the new year with a celebration of the best of 2017!

DISCLAIMER:

By "best" we mean what we here at Blood Work feel, in our own pompous biased over-inflated egotistical opinions, is the best according to our own personal preferences. If you were looking for the right time to exit... that time is... NOW!

 By something not being on the list in no way means that we don't like it or it is inferior. It just means we haven't gotten to it yet. This post is in no way meant to put down any one or any thing or discredit anyone's work.

This blog is meant to celebrate everything we love in entertainment. We aren't haters. We're lovers. If by some reason we have offended you we truly apologize for it was not our intent.

So without further adieu... on with the blood!








KAIJU OF THE YEAR
We here at Blood Work love all kaiju and as such we feel all kaiju should be celebrated. This last year we didn't do any Kaijuology reports at all and for that we are wholly ashamed and apologize. We only did two entries in our THE SAGA OF THE KING OF THE MONSTERS series, a series of articles reviewing Godzilla's various films. For this travesty we again apologize with all our black hearts.

But we still celebrated kaiju in 2017 in other posts, albeit not as heavily as previous years. Anyway, while 2017 was a little on the light side for kaiju appreciation here's to a more kaiju heavy 2018!



Here are the articles we did publish centering around our favorite city destroying giant monsters!

SILVER TONGUED SILVER SCREEN: KONG SKULL ISLAND (2017)

 







 And the "Kaiju of the Year" award goes to...




KING KONG!

Specifically the Toho version of King Kong. This version of King Kong is far larger than any American version of King Kong and has only appeared in two movies. But it seems that this version of Kong has been the basis of inspiration (or in part at least) for the 2017 version of King Kong in KONG: SKULL ISLAND. I do love this version of King Kong and feel he deserves this award for the contributions to the world of kaiju he has made. In truth, this particular King Kong is one of the earliest exposures to the character I ever had and a primary reason why I love King Kong.



Thank you for all you've done, Toho King Kong.








COMIC OF THE YEAR
Here are the comic books we read last year (note: not all were reviewed here at Blood Work but we are including everything we've read in the event that they may be reviewed at a later date).

Here are the nominees...

The Mighty Captain Marvel (by Margaret Stohl and various artists) 

All-New Guardians of the Galaxy (by Gerry Duggan and various artists)

Guardians of the Galaxy: Dream On (by Marc Sumarek and Andrea DiVito)

Royals (by Al Ewing and various artists)

Iron Fist (by Ed Brisson and Mike Perkins)

Spirits of Vengeance (by Victor Gischler and David Baldeon)

Doctor Strange (by multiple writers and artists) 

Nova (by Jeff Loveness and Ramon Perez)

Monsters Unleashed (by Cullen Bunn and various artists)

Vampire Hunter D: Message From Mars (by Brandon Easton and Michael Broussard)

Skull Island: The Birth of Kong (by Arvid Nelson and Zid)

Kong of Skull Island (by James Asmus and Carlos Magno)

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (by Dan Abnett and Tom Mandrake)

Comics read but not reviewed...

Thanos (by Jeff Lemiere and various artists)

Man-Thing (by R.L. Stine and German Peralta)

Silver Surfer (by Dan Slott and Michael Allred)

Black Bolt (by Christian Ward and Saladin Ahmed)

Inhumans: Once and Future Kings (by Christopher Priest and Phil Noto) 

Street Fighter Vs Darkstalkers (by Ken Siu-Chong and Edwin Huang)

Big Trouble In Little China: Old Man Jack (by various writers and artists)

Big Trouble In Little China/Escape From New York (by Greg Pak and Daniel Bayliss)

 (wow! you don't realize how much you've read until you actually go through and list it all! This doesn't even cover the older books that I was catching up on from previous years! Yeesh! I think I have a problem...)


And the comic of the year goes to...

 I originally thought that this book was going to be a shameless attempt from Marvel to cash in on the Netflix series as both debuted the same month. Whatever excuse they need to publish a new volume of Iron Fist is alright by me. Artist Mike Perkins tops my list two years in a row. What's truly amazing is that the writing is fantastic too. I can't recommend Mike Perkins' artwork enough. Iron Fist hasn't been this compelling nor looking this good since 2007, in my opinion. Even when Mike Perkins leaves the book, which he will after his twelfth issue, I will still buy the book because writer Ed Brisson has made me a fan of his work too.

Go Iron Fist!!
 







HORROR FILM OF THE YEAR
What a year for horror films! This is, in my opinion, one of the best years for horror films since 2013. I haven't seen all the horror films that came out this year but here are ones that I did see. I'm still catching up on some so I haven't had a chance to review them all yet. But those reviews will be coming.

Here are the nominees

47 METERS DOWN

THE BABYSITTER

BETTER WATCH OUT


IT COMES AT NIGHT

THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM




As you can see I missed many a film including Happy Death Day, Bye Bye Man, Jeepers Creepers 3, Jigsaw, Cult of Chucky, Leatherface, and others. Look, I'm trying, alright?! Yeesh 😉


and the award for best horror film goes to...






Now, usually I go for more supernatural horror and I flock toward monster movies. But Get Out is one of those rare films that walks a fine line between reality and fantasy. The film walks many fine lines in fact, and talk about cultural relevance with what's going on in the country nowadays. I think all these elements enhance the film's horror beyond the narrative. But yet you could leave all that political and cultural reflection at the door and the film is still a powerful story. Very good horror.

I was torn between three films this year: Get Out, IT, and Annabelle Creation. I enjoyed all three films immensely. Like I said, it was a very good year for horror.








ANIME/TELEVISION SHOW OF THE YEAR
Admittedly I don't watch enough television. There are a ton of great shows I know I'd fall head over heels for, that have been out for years, that I still haven't watched! I'm a horrible television viewer, I know. I have a ton of shows on my watch list, but here are the few that I actually did see and review. Both live action and animated programs are included in this category because... well there just isn't enough of either to make up their own categories at the moment. I am extremely ashamed to say I haven't yet watched Stranger Things Season Two or Samurai Jack Season Five yet (sigh, I don;t know what's wrong with me...) Anyway...

The nominees for best television series are...

CASTLEVANIA SEASON ONE (2017)

IRON FIST SEASON ONE (2017) 
 AGENTS OF SHIELD SEASON FOUR (2016/2017)

SUPERNATURAL SEASON TWELVE (2016/2017)

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON SEVEN (2016/2017)

TROLLHUNTERS SEASON ONE (2016/2017)




And the award for best television show goes to...



Ridiculously short... but ridiculously satisfying. As a life long Castlevania fan (at least since the 1980's) I was extremely happy with the adaptation. It was basically a very faithful adaptation of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, one of my favorite games in the series. The animation style is beautiful and the voice acting is incredible.

It's been said to have been renewed for a second longer season and I hope that second season actually sees production and release because right now, this first season is basically a 90 minute primer. But it was done very well.

Runner-up favorite shows this last year were The Punisher, Trollhunters, Agents of Shield (it had Ghost Rider in it!), and The Walking Dead. Lots of good television these days.









COMIC BOOK / SCI-FI / FANTASY / ACTION
FILM OF THE YEAR
It's the big one! Basically this is our Best Movie of the year category. I must say that I made it to more movies in the theater this year than I have in previous years. And I still missed a ton and am catching up on them as we speak! Anyway...

The nominees for best film of 2017 are...

LOGAN 

KONG: SKULL ISLAND

GHOST IN THE SHELL

FATE OF THE FURIOUS

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

WONDER WOMAN 

BABY DRIVER

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

ATOMIC BLONDE

THOR: RAGNAROK

JUSTICE LEAGUE

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

movies I didn't get reviewed but should've

JOHN WICK 2

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES

BLADE RUNNER 2049

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD





 And the award for best movie goes to...




Wait... super hero movies can be serious... and succeed?! NO WAY! Logan blew me away with its intensity and violence. With every new Marvel Studios movie they grow a little more comedic and I complain a little more with each one. I'm not saying I want every super hero movie to be serious, only that the humor is used in the right places. I feel the humor is being leaned on too heavily in recent years, this year especially. Not a single serious MCU movie out of three this year.

While I am still hopelessly addicted to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in spite of the overused humor, Logan was like a breath of fresh air. All the actors in Logan do an amazing job and director James Mangold pulls off what is probably the greatest X-Men movie of them all. If only we were getting three Marvel movies a year as powerful as Logan (again, I'd only want the appropriate characters going down this route, they don't all need to go this way. But it'd be nice to have more variety from Marvel Studios).


My very very close second place goes to KONG: SKULL ISLAND

March of 2017 was insane as both Logan and Kong came out back to back weeks. I went back and forth with Logan and Kong for my favorite movie of the year. I thought they were both incredible and delivered damn near everything I wanted from them.

2017 as a whole for movies was incredible! I was giving out 7 out of 10's like crazy (which is really good!). I don't think I've given out as many 7's in previous years as I have this year. Conversely though I don't feel many reached the coveted 8 out of 10. After time to think on it I have since gone back and awarded both Logan and Kong 8's as I feel they deserve it. They are the only two films of 2017 to receive 8's from me. I've also gone back and boosted X-Men: Days of Future Past from a 6 to a 7 as that film has grown better with age.

Anyway, 2017 was a great year for cinema and it set the bar high for 2018.








NINJA OF THE YEAR

And now! The award you've all been waiting for so eagerly! Who is the ninja of the year?! I don't know about you all, but I am very excited to be presenting the award this year. So many great ninjas have graced the pages of this blog and we here at Blood Work feel honored to have been graced with their presence. I think I speak for everyone here at Blood Work that, when we grow up, we want to be ninjas. It's a little known fact, but it's true.

We've added a few ninja posts to our growing repertoire this year. Here's what we've amassed so far:


Kage No Gundan ~ Shadow Warriors Season One
(a show set in feudal Japan about ninjas!)

Top Ten Favorite Ninjas (Video Games: Male)

Top Ten Favorite Ninjas (Video Games: Female)


(it says samurai but ninjas are included too) 

(The film responsible for the status of ninjas today in pop culture.)




(A brief examination of female ninjas and how cool and dangerous these women were.)




(A survey in which I asked coworkers who they thought would win and a story based on the outcome.)




 (A list of my favorite fighting game males, some of which are ninjas!)




(A list of my favorite fighting game females, many of which are ninjas!)



(my favorite video game ninja!) 



And the ninja of the year is...



 HATTORI HANZO

The legendary Iga ninja master, Hattori Hanzo. There are only a few mythic shinobi from history and Hattori Hanzo is likely the most recognizable. Hattori Hanzo is a presence in the original ninja films (Shinobi No Mono), television (Shadow Warriors a.k.a. Kage No Gundan), video games (Samurai Shodown and Samurai Warriors), manga (Path of the Assassin), anime (Basilisk and Naruto and others), and of course the history books. Let's also not forget Kill Bill Vol. 1 and the game Overwatch. Hell, there's even a reference to him in an episode of Thundercats!

I don't think I'm overselling it here, but Hattori Hanzo is the man! And he is more than deserving of the Ninja of the Year Award



And there it is! The 2017 Blood Awards!

The bloody best of the best according to the admittedly weird people at Blood Work

(who likely have zero good taste in anything... We can't help it. The heart wants what the heart wants)



 A big thanks to everyone who has frequented this blog and helped contribute! If it's kaiju, comic books, or horror expect to see it here! We here at Blood Work appreciate every visit and comment and are thankful for all your support over these last three and half years! It's hard to believe that 42 months have already gone by since we started this blog. Here's to another 42 months and beyond 

And here's to a wonderful 2018!
 And remember to keep the blood flowing!
As always feel free to comment and let us know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment