Friday, October 20, 2017

HALLOWEEN HORROR DAYS ~ DAY 20: I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (1978)


Reflecting societal feelings and tensions of the time, 1970's cinema brought unparalleled reality and in some cases extremely harsh brutality to film. During the 1970's we saw a rise in exploitation film as well as more graphic content in mainstream R rated features. Movies like THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, SALO, THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE, and others showcased rape and graphic violence on levels few films before had dared. I'm not saying these types of films didn't exist prior to the 1970's but rather films like these weren't as available as they were in the 70's. These films pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable in cinema as well as the boundaries of what audiences could endure.

I have my own term for these particular kinds of films: SOUL CRUSHERS. Have you ever come out of a movie feeling like you just lost a piece of your innocence and a piece of your soul? Have you ever come out of a movie feeling so sick to your stomach that you questioned whether or not it was the film that made you sick or yourself for having watched something so disgusting? Images from the film are forever seared into your memory and not the kind you want to remember. You feel like you've witnessed something that you weren't meant to see and you feel your soul needs a good rinse afterwards. You feel that a piece of yourself just died inside. These kinds of feelings are what accompany a viewing of a Soul Crusher film.

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE a.k.a. DAY OF THE WOMAN is a film I'd characterize as a Soul Crusher. Every year I sneak in one of these to feel bad about myself afterwards.

Breathes deeply, "Okay... here we go..."

"Why? Why? WHY?!"

THE PLOT

Jennifer is an aspiring writer and working on her first book. She rents a cottage in rural Connecticut to get away from city life and focus on her writing. All the residents of the sleepy little town in which Jennifer is staying take notice. Some of the local men are put off by Jennifer's cultured demeanor and independence. Four of these men jump her in the woods and each take turns ravaging her. Left for dead, Jennifer barely makes it back to the cottage. Once she has healed she goes about planning her revenge, picking off the four men one by one.

WHAT I LIKED

??? I'm not sure I liked anything about this film. It's not that I feel there was anything technically wrong about the production. In fact I don't have any real nitpicks about it either. But it's that I don't particularly find the subject matter appealing. It's just my personal preference and that's what it comes down to.

This is a REVENGE film and one of the most potent of Revenge films.

True Horror. The definition of horror is: an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust. What really horrifies people varies from person to person. The subject matter of this film I guess is what truly horrifies me. In real life there aren't werewolves, zombies, or vampires (or are there?). This film portrays real life monsters and what these real life monsters do actually disgusts me and makes my stomach churn. So in that respect this film does a good job of showcasing real monsters.


An Emotional Reaction. While I may not find this film entertaining in the least it did evoke an emotional response from me. I felt physically ill watching this movie. I felt a desire to see those four men die in the worst ways possible. I hope those four men are writhing in Hell and being torn apart and raped over and over again for all eternity. So for a film to illicit such a reaction from me shows the power of the images and narrative on screen. Few films have actually made me sick and driven me to genuine anger.

NITPICKS

I didn't notice anything technically wrong with this film, but then I only watched it this one time. I think I was too busy being nervous for what was coming and disgusted by what I was seeing to be technically analytical about the film. So instead I'll issue a word of caution: DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO BE PUSHED TO YOUR LIMITS.

If there ever was an example of a film that ISN'T for everyone, IT'S THIS FILM. 

Now, I have seen far harsher films that make this one look tame by comparison. Some of you more experienced film masochists may not bat an eyelash at this film as the gore level is quite low. But the subject matter of this film should not be taken lightly at all.


THE VERDICT

 I Spit On Your Grave is a pure visceral Revenge film and one I'd consider a Soul Crusher. You won't feel good after watching this film. This film will push the uninitiated viewer's boundaries to their limits. Real world evil is on full display in this film. If that is something you desire to see than look no further. Whether or not you find such films entertaining or not I'll leave to you. But for me personally I have no desire to watch this film ever again. That's not to say the film was put together inadequately but rather I found little entertainment value in it. 

Overall Ranking: 7 out of 10
Rated high for effectiveness NOT for entertainment value
Nude-O-Meter: 6 out of 10

For more Soul Crushers "WHY? WHY WOULD YOU?!" check out these other films below "DON'T!"

No comments:

Post a Comment