Tuesday, July 29, 2014

THE METAL WILL LIVE ON: ANBERLIN ~ LOWBORN


Just like clockwork the band Anberlin has released yet another album, their seventh album and supposedly their final album. I gotta say it is an experience.

Two years ago they really hit a new high with their album VITAL. It was easily their most aggressive album with some of the best songs they've ever written. I should specify: best heavy songs they've ever written. Anberlin has that unique talent in which they can produce wicked awesome rock songs and also deeply evocative and powerful acoustic songs. Vital was heavy on the rock songs. I loved it and turned the hell out of it! The Vital sessions also seemed to turn out bountiful amounts of music, 11 tracks plus 2 more on the Best Buy exclusive as well as a bonus 14th song available in iTunes. You can all these songs plus 4 more tracks on VITAL 2.0, an album released the following year under the title DEVOTION. Like I said, bountiful. Now on to the new album.

LOWBORN only has 10 tracks and is tied with their album DARK IS THE WAY, LIGHT IS A PLACE for shortest album. Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed to see so few songs. I'm greedy that way when it comes to my favorite bands. My first listen I compared it to Vital and found the new album wanting, not to mention short. There didn't seem to be as many standout songs as on Vital either. I began to fear that this new album would join the ranks with my least favorite Anberlin album, Dark is the Way, Light is a Place.

Lowborn has something that Vital doesn't have however. Sometimes your listening experience can be elevated from just simply listening to music to experiencing music, the mood, and feelings the band wants you to experience. While I dearly love Vital, Lowborn is incredible as a whole album. Each song moves seamlessly into the next while clearly differentiating themselves. The album starts off with a blast, the song We Are Destroyer is badass! From their it moves into some truly epic songs. Throughout the album their is an eerie haunting feelings exuding forth, one that beckons memories of classic 80's songs from Depeche Mode and Phil Collins. The 90's group Garbage even comes to mind when listening to the album. Musically, lyrically, the album is solid. Even after the initial turn I found myself singing songs from it, tunes caught in my head (in the good way), and beats that get me moving. The song Voices is the first one that stuck with me, resonated with me, from the album. I may have liked others immediately but Voices was the song I found myself humming and singing hours later.

All in all the album is amazing. Every time I listen to it I like it more and more. The rock songs that I love are there including Anberlin's first ever scream rock song Dissenter. They always have a bangin intro and atmospheric exit and Lowborn is no exception. The overall tone of the album feels like a death cry mixed with a haunting wake, at least that's the feeling I get anyway. It's makes me sad to know that this is their last album. The sense of finality is certainly there.

Overall ranking: 7 out of 10

IN MEMORIUM

I'll miss you guys. Your music has spoke to me, inspired me, and propelled me forward. Thank you.


 Listen to the album Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment