Wednesday, June 18, 2014

WATCH LIST: BLOOD HOUNDS


Last year was a great year for horror films in my opinion. January 2013 began with Texas Chainsaw, the latest installment in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise, the first to be in 3D. That film was definitely a guilty pleasure but one I thoroughly enjoyed. As far as I'm concerned the more Leatherface the better!



The week following we received the film MAMA. Wow, that film gave me chills. Generally I disapprove if a horror receives a PG-13 rating but holy shit this movie was good! And it worked on many different levels too. A truly good horror film.



In April 2013 we saw the much anticipated, and much dreaded remake of EVIL DEAD. Again I was blown away! Very few movies reach that level of intensity and gore that this one did! I thought it was an amazing homage to what the filmmakers of the original intended to capture with their film. The way it blended elements from Evil Dead and Evil Dead II was perfect. A grueling experience in terror!




In July we saw both The Purge and The Conjuring. The concept of the Purge is very evocative and interesting. The film itself lacked a bit but still evoked an emotional response from me. The morality tale within it deserves high praise. Then the Conjuring delivered another immensely terrifying experience while remaining PG-13. The Conjuring ranks as my #2 favorite film of 2013. Really damn scary!



And I can't forget the frickin' rad home invasion film YOU'RE NEXT that came out in August. That film was a bad ass homage to the great horror films of the 1980's. If you haven't seen it and you love horror movies, you really really need to! A great horror film!



And it all capped off in September of last year with INSIDIOUS Chapter 2. Another terrifying ghost story at PG-13 and worth every freakin penny! As strong as the first film and not failing where the first one did. All in all a great year for horror films and fans of the darker side of cinema.





This year... not so much. We've kinda hit a drought. In January there was NURSE 3D... meh. In April I saw OCULUS. It wasn't bad. I've never seen a movie like it. Worth taking a look but it wasn't earth-shattering. I wanted to see the new Hammer horror film THE QUIET ONES but I missed it sadly. The sequel to the Purge comes out in July, THE PURGE: ANARCHY. I'll probably go see it. But not much else on the radar for horror. That doesn't mean they aren't out there...

Check these out...

The Green Inferno Trailer


The Babadook Trailer


As Above So Below Trailer


They're out there... We just need to know where to look :) Hopefully they'll be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment