Monday, April 6, 2015

BLOODY GOOD TELEVISION: WGN AMERICA'S SALEM

Horror fans, this is the show for you

I'm more of a movie guy than a television guy. But that's not to say that I don't have my tv shows that I try to watch when I can. Most of them have been on the air for a while like The Walking Dead and Supernatural. Occasionally I come across a show that blows me away. The last show that ensnared me from episode one all the way to the season finale was WGN's original series SALEM.

Just like the name implies the show revolves around the town of Salem, Massachusetts around 1692 during the infamous Salem Witch Trials. The Witch paranoia is sweeping the colonies. The Puritans are hanging people left and right who they suspect of witchcraft. It is a time of early science and strong religious convictions. Two young lovers Mary and John are trapped in the middle of it all, unmarried and pregnant.

John is pressed into the service of England for King William's War. Mary, facing brutal public punishment for conceiving a child out of wedlock, is left to deal with the consequences. One night she goes into the woods with a slave girl named Tituba with the offer of salvation from a terrible fate. All she has to do is sell her soul and become a servant of the devil and he will remove the baby from her belly.

Seven years later John returns, a changed man who has seen many horrible sights during his time in the war. He comes home to a town he barely recognizes. Neighbor accuses neighbor of witchcraft. Innocents girls are possessed by evil spirits. And black mass orgies occur in the woods outside of town. And his beloved Mary is now the most powerful woman in all Salem, married to a fanatical puritan leader.

As the death toll rises the witches make their move. Innocent blood needs to spilled in order for the witches to complete the Grand Rite, a powerful spell that would plunge the world into darkness. But whose a witch and whose a victim of puritan persecution?

Okay, it's a simple enough plot to follow and an extremely compelling one. In the first episode we are treated to some truly horrifying images, a grotesque bizarre abortion, and one sick ass black mass. The sight of the Hag is enough to give you nightmares. In fact I was so shocked by what I saw in that first episode I had to keep going.

This is the Witch Epic to end all witch epics. They creators tie in all the witch lore from fairy tales you heard as a child to the stories you've only heard whispered about in nightmares. I can't rave about this show enough. I've always wanted to see a truly frightening and authentic story about witches, the romanticized versions of witches (by that I mean witches with actual powers, dark twisted devil worshipers) and this story delivers the goods.

Many times watching the show I thought to myself, "Rob Zombie would be proud." The show is dark and gritty just like Mr. Zombie's films. The opening theme song is by Marylin Mason and Tyler Bates and it sets the tone and gets you into the perfect mood. The actors do a wonderful job, especially Janet Montgomery, Shane West, and Stephen Lang. The effects are convincing and the make-up is top notch. I'd buy the show on DVD if I could, it's that good.

The first season is streaming on NETFLIX. Season Two started on April 5th of this year. On WGN. I wish I had a way of watching the second season. As it is I will watch it the soonest opportunity I can get. This is a show I want to see play out and stay for many seasons. I haven't been as excited about a new show since The Walking Dead started. I can't recommend this show enough.

Season One Overall Ranking: 8 out of 10

Nude-O-Meter: 4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment