Sunday, May 19, 2019

SILVER TONGUED SILVER SCREEN: JOHN WICK CHAPTER 3 ~ PARABELLUM (2019)


I love a good action movie! I even love a bad movie with good action! I can forgive a lot in a movie if it blows my socks off with the action sequences. Likewise a movie with a strong story and great acting can feel underwhelming with lame action set-pieces too. Obviously I'd love for the movie to be stellar on all fronts, but if it lacks in areas but excels in the action I'm totally fine with that. Anyway I am always looking for the next great action movie.

The bar for action films is always moving. Of the last few years, the films that have impressed me the most with the action have been:

NINJA ASSASSIN (2010)
13 ASSASSINS (2010)
THE RAID (2011)
THE RAID 2 (2014)
BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL (2017)
THE VILLAINESS (2017)

The movies listed above are the cream of the crop. Of the big budget commercial American films, I've enjoyed the action in these films as well:

CRANK (2006)
SHOOT EM' UP (2007)
HOT FUZZ (2007)
GRINDHOUSE (2007) specifically the PLANET TERROR segment
RAMBO (2008)
CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE (2009)
THE EXPENDABLES (2010)
FURIOUS 6 (2013)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014)

There are more of course, but these are the immediate films that always come to mind. And this doesn't even scratch the surface of the great action movies of the past, stretching back several decades. And then there's the JOHN WICK films. These films are quickly rising in the ranks of my favorite action films of late. The first John Wick from 2014 was a total surprise and 100% awesome. The action rode the line between realistic and "over the top" expertly. And there were hints of an interesting world within the narrative.

But if I'm being honest, the first John Wick didn't quite sell me on the action or the concepts therein. It was really good mind you, but if it ended there I wouldn't have thought twice about it. When I saw John Wick Chapter 2 I was given pause. For me, Chapter 2 revealed the depths of just how unique and amazing the narrative was and how awesome it can be to revisit and explore this Assassin World. And the action of Chapter 2 far exceeded its predecessor in my opinion. From then I was sold and was instantly excited for more. Which brings us to JOHN WICK CHAPTER 3 ~ PARABELLUM.

It's amazing! The sky is the limit for these films. I hope this one makes enough money for them to continue.

THE PLOT

John Wick killed a member of the High Table on Continental grounds. John broke the rules and now he's become excommunicated from the assassin world, open for contract, with a bounty of $14 million on his head. He's been given one hour of mercy, a chance to run, before the excommunication goes into effect. John must scrape together all his resources, cash in every favor he's earned, and pray to whatever gods he believes in to survive the coming onslaught.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

The Action was the main aspect on trial here and I've gotta say this film is at least as good as the previous film in the series if not better. The opening ten minutes sets an aggressive tone and the rest of the film delivers in spades. Even the dogs get in on the action in epic and brutal ways. If you thought the action in Avengers: Endgame was epic you haven't seen anything yet. Avengers is child's play compared to John Wick. I know these two movies are quite different and shouldn't be weighed against each other, but still.

Next awaiting judgement was the continued world building of the John Wick universe. Just like with the action, it doesn't take long for the film to dive into this unique assassin world. Right away we see more rules of the world and even some major history on John Wick himself. Both John's backstory and more details about the assassin world continue to be revealed as the film goes on, building towards an epic finale, and portents of the future.

And lastly I want to talk about the actors. John Wick Chapter 3 assembles perhaps its best cast yet. Halle Berry does great with the action and her two dog team with John Wick provides for some of the best action sequences in the film. But who really stole the show for me was Mark Dacascos. Dacascos plays a ninja of sorts so it's no wonder I like him. I was a fan of his action movies from the 90's and it feels like a little 90's action hero solidarity between him and Keanu Reeves. I loved to hate Asia Kate Dillon who was great as the Adjudicator. And I was most excited to see Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian (two amazing martial artists from THE RAID films). They're both playing shinobi under Mark Dacascos and are oh so cool. And they may return as the movie kept them alive by the end.

NITPICKS

I got none. The movie's not perfect, but I didn't notice anything that really stood out as a problem. I didn't notice any major plot holes. I had a hard time suspending my disbelief that Keanu Reeves could beat Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian in a two on one match but if I hadn't seen both The Raid movies prior this wouldn't be a problem. So, really I don't have much to nitpick.

THE VERDICT

John Wick Chapter 3 ~ Parabellum delivers everything you've come to expect from the franchise and ups the ante. The action is spectacular and the additions of Halle Berry, Mark Dacascos, Asia Kate Dillon, Angelica Huston, Cecep Arif Rahman, and Yayan Ruhian are all great. Three films in, each one better than the last, John Wick is solidifying itself as the latest and greatest action franchise out right now. I'm calling it now, this will be one of, if not the, favorite film of the year.

Overall Ranking: 8 out of 10
Nude-O-Meter: 0 out of 10




No comments:

Post a Comment