Friday, October 24, 2014

SILVER TONGUED SILVER SCREEN: DELIVER US FROM EVIL


Scott Derrickson is proving he is one of the most talented horror film directors today. A few years ago during my senior year of college I saw a horror film that gave me a sleepless night. I woke up at 3:15 AM alone in my dorm room and green light was pouring in through my window. I got and went next door where luckily one of my friends was still up. That movie was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Years went by and then I saw another film, one which I have reviewed earlier this month, Sinister. He really jumped onto my radar when it was announced that he would be the one to direct the upcoming Marvel Studios film Doctor Strange. He released a new movie this summer, one I sadly missed. I just watched it and it is awesome!

DELIVER US FROM EVIL is a horror film about three soldiers who come back from Iraq possessed by demons. While in Iraq they raid a cave teeming with Al Qaeda terrorists. What they find inside opens them up to demonic possession. Now they're back in the United States opening gateways for demons to come through and possess others.

NYPD officer Ralph Sarchie begins investigating strange crimes in the city. Sarchie has this sense about certain cases. His partner calls this his Radar. Together Sarchie and his partner stumble upon a series of seemingly unrelated cases guided by his radar. Sarchie begins hearing noises, voices, and seeing frightening images. They cuff a woman acting strangely, the only explanation being that of possession. Sarchie doesn't believe in God but nothing else can explain it.

Enter Father Mendoza. He believes Sarchie's Radar is an innate ability to sense evil. That Sarchie, whether he wants to or not, has been chosen to do "the work." Sarchie's family is attacked. He is forced to place his belief in a higher power. He and Mendoza piece the clues together, track down the soldiers, and ultimately have a showdown against pure evil.

This movie plays like an origin story for two demon hunting heroes. If you know me then you know how much I love the tv show Supernatural and all sorts of demon hunting themed comics and video games. This movie plays it completely serious and succeeds beautifully in drawing you in and making the unbelievable believable. The possessed soldiers are scary as hell too. Derrickson knows how make evil frightening and real.

The best part about the movie though is when Father Mendoza and Sarchie finally team-up and come into their own. It was almost like I was watching a resume to Marvel Studios, one which said to them, "Hey, I'm the right man to direct Doctor Strange." I had thoughts of Constantine and Daimon Hellstrom, characters who would shine in the hands of Derrickson if he were given the chance to direct.  Now more than ever I am so excited for Doctor Strange because of this movie. Scott Derrickson has sold me on his horror directing talent. What about you? Check this one out.

Overall Ranking: 6 out of 10
Nude-O-Meter: 0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment