Saturday, August 11, 2018

SILVER TONGUED SILVER SCREEN: THE MEG (2018)


The summer shark movie tradition continues with the biggest one yet: THE MEG. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2016 shark thriller THE SHALLOWS and also enjoyed 2017's 47 METERS DOWN. But then again I'm an easy target as I have loved shark movies since I was a kid. This film also marks the fourth movie this year to feature giant animals/monsters (Pacific Rim: Uprising, Rampage, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom), a genre I do enjoy so very much. Now, for someone who loves both sharks and giant monster movies too, what could be better than a movie about a giant monster shark? A big budget movie about a megalodon wreaking havoc in today's oceans? Starring JASON STATHAM?! Sold!!!!

I have been aware of and even own the book MEG: A NOVEL OF DEEP TERROR since the late 90's or early 2000's as well as its sequel THE TRENCH. Long have I mused over the idea of what such a movie adaptation of these novels would look like. I never pictured Meg as a tongue n' cheek B-Movie (but I never do with any movie to be honest). After seeing the initial trailers it was clear that the filmmakers weren't taking the subject matter as seriously as the novels. Instead they're laughing off the notion of a megalodon as something akin to the inherently ridiculous giant monster movies of the 50's (THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE GIANT CLAW, ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN).

I love these kinds of movies. I always have (I added the three films just mentioned above to my DVD collection just this year in fact!). But there is always a part of me that fantasizes "what would these ideas look like if taken completely serious with incredible special effects?"

Anyway, I enjoyed THE MEG very much, the trailers perfectly telegraphing the tone of film you should expect.

THE PLOT

A deep sea exploration team discovers that a thermal layer of dense gases along the bottom of Mariana Trench may hide an area below. With state of the art equipment the team successfully penetrates the thermal layer discovering a hitherto unknown area of ocean. What they discover is an ecosystem undisturbed for millions of years. The exploration vessel is suddenly struck by something swimming outside. Their vessel is crippled and trapped on the floor of the trench. A rescue team is dispatched only to find themselves also besieged by what appears to be a real life living megalodon.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME

The Shark. The CGI effects for the Megalodon were done very well I thought. I loved the coloring and look of it, (admittedly not much different than a great white) possessing a sinister quality to it. The film manages to deliver an unexpected amount of decent suspense and tension, something I wasn't sure we'd be getting. The Megalodon is pretty scary and impressive whenever it is on screen. Ultimately what more could you ask for of this movie?

Ode To B-Movies. The Meg feels very much like an homage to those B films of the 90's, both those direct to video action films as well as monster and sci-fi B-movies. Once Jason Statham shows up to the rescue the movie leans into the B-movie hero cliches and camp pretty hard, so predictably that it feels very self-aware of what it's doing. "There's only one man in the world who can do this." "I swore I'd never go back there." "What does he think he's doing?" "Saving your ass!" You get the idea. It's like every action movie that came out in the 80's and 90's. Embracing the idea this approach became fun and enjoyable, albeit a forehead slapper at times.

I was going in thinking the "Blood" quotient was going to be lacking but I was genuinely surprised by the amount we received. Little human ruin but a lot of juicy whale blood and guts.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME

There are a few moments that seemed inconsistent to me. The two crisscrossed cables stopping the Meg dead in its tracks elicited a "C'mon!" from me. It was the biggest "yeah right" moment for me but didn't hurt the film in the end. Then there's the varying strength of the Meg, sometimes it can destroy whole submarines and then it can't crush a tiny pod-racer (the single man diving ships they use which look oddly like something out of the Star Wars prequels). Like I said, in the end none of this really detracted from the film ultimately.

THE VERDICT

The Meg is good ol' fashioned B-movie fun. The megalodon looks good and it appears the actors are having fun. It fully embraces a ludicrous mentality and leans into the camp cliches. I don't have a whole lot else to say about this movie otherwise. While it would've been nicer to see a more serious and intense carnage filled movie this film still manages to please. I have to admit I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, better than Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and right on par with Rampage and Pacific Rim: Uprising. I gotta say though, in my opinion, the movie that perfected this kind of premise and approach is still 2010's PIRANHA 3D. Of the three shark summer movies of the last few years I prefer The Shallows.

Overall Ranking: 6 out of 10

ODE TO WHAT MIGHT'VE BEEN

While I did enjoy the film, afterwards I couldn't help but wonder what a serious R-rated version of the film would look like. I also wished there had been a bigger battle showcased between the giant squid and the megalodon (The Meg VS The Kraken!). I understand that no movie studio would front $150 million for a serious giant shark movie (those Sy-Fy originals like Sharktopus or Megashark Vs Giant Octopus have ruined any legitimate film opportunities for such ideas. And of course those notorious Sharknado films). But if this film does well and the summer shark movie trend continues maybe we'll start seeing a change in the tides in regards to such premises. Here's hoping but not holding my breath.

For more shark movies, 2018 giant monster movies, and watery horror check out these others below!



2 comments:

  1. Good review. Movie felt like a good bad movie but very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Sometimes a good "bad" is exactly what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete