Tuesday, September 22, 2015

ALL-NEW ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL NOW: WHAT TO BUY & WHAT TO FRY


Marvel Comics Group is doing a massive relaunch of their universe in the wake of the universe shattering event SECRET WARS by Jonathan Hickman. Starting in October of 2015 and rolling on through the following months we will be seeing virtually all of their previous books ended (most of which already are over) and a ton of new titles starting up!

If you're a comic fan like myself and share some similar tastes as far as super heroes are concerned then follow me on down as I list off the new titles that Marvel is delivering and spotlight which titles are MUST HAVES, which are question marks ????, and which to AVOID! Let's take a look...


OCTOBER

 Angela: Queen of Hel
By Marguerite Bennet (writing)
Kim Jacinto & Stephanie Hans (art)

 Nope. Probably not gonna get this one. I enjoyed the character when she was a part of the SPAWN comic book but I just don't know what to think of her in the Marvel U. Having her in the Thor books I do think is a good place for her. 

 The Astonishing Ant-Man
By Nick Spencer (writing)
Ramon Rosanas (art)

Pass. I've never been that big of an Ant-Man fan. I loved the movie and I will buy the movie the moment it comes out. This comic does look interesting and cool. If there was an Ant-Man comic to get It'd be this one.

 The Amazing Spider-Man
By Dan Slott (writing)
Giuseppe Camuncoli (art)

Pass. Spidey is too much for me. I like him but not enough to buy a Spidey comic regularly. I also do not care for the artist. 
 Blade
By Tim Seeley (writing)
Logan Faerber (art)

Pass. This book I would get if it didn't look so off-putting. A pink Blade? Looks like something out of the 80's. I like Blade. I have liked him for a long time. But this looks too far from the source.
Sam Wilson, Captain America
By Nick Spencer (writing)
Daniel Acuna (art)

Pass. I like Falcon. I like Captain America. Daniel Acuna's art isn't terrible either. But I don't care for Fal-Cap.
 Contest of Champions
By Al Ewing (writing)
Paco Medina (art)

Pass. I'm interested in this one. It looks like a fun book that will probably carry no weight and not effect the universe at all. A fun book for crazy match-ups and Paco Medina's art will lend itself well to such a book. I doubt it will last though.
 Doctor Strange
By Jason Aaron (writing)
Chris Bachalo (art)

YES! I am definitely getting this book! Jason Aaron has one of the most messed up, disturbing imaginations out there. This is a winning combo (in theory). Add it to the pull list.
 Extraordinary X-Men
By Jeff Lemire (writing)
Humberto Ramos (art)

Nope. Not gonna do it. Lemire is good but Ramos I just can't get behind. 
 Guardians of the Galaxy
By Brian Michael Bendis (writing)
Valerio Schiti (art)

Hell no (which is a shame because I love the Guardians of the Galaxy). I got burned the last time. Bendis doesn't have the imagination for a book like this. It's too much for him. I'm ashamed for getting his previous Guardians title. Never again. The art will be good though.
Howling Commandos of SHIELD
By Frank Barbiere (writing)
Brent Schoonover (art)

Pass. I love Marvel's horror characters but this is the wrong direction to take them. No. No. No.
 Invincible Iron Man
By Brian Michael Bendis (writing)
David Marquez (art)

Pass. The art will be great on this book but I have read Bendis's Iron Man before in his Avengers books. This book will only disappoint.
 Karnak
By Warren Ellis (writing)
Gerardo Zaffino (art)

Short Listed. This book has the potential to be something awesome. The character of Karnak and his ability to see the weakness in everything is rife with possibility. It could fly high or crash. This one is on the maybe list.
 New Avengers
By Al Ewing (writing)
Gerardo Sandoval (art)

Pass. I like Songbird but that's it. I also don't like Sandoval's art.
 Spider-Man 2099
By Peter David (writing)
Will Sliney (art)

Pass. If I were to buy a Spidey book it would be this one. I like Peter David's writing a great deal as well as the 2099 universe. But there are too many other books coming out and only so much money.
 Spider-Gwen
By Jason Latour (writing)
Robbi Rodriguez (art)

Pass. I always liked Gwen better than Mary-Jane. But no.
 The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
By Ryan North (writing)
Erica Henderson (art)

Never in a million years.
 Uncanny Avengers
By Gerry Duggan (writing)
Ryan Stegman (art)

Pass. The only character I like on this team is Doctor Voodoo. I enjoyed Gerry Duggan's Hulk run too. No other character on this team gets me excited though.
Uncanny Inhumans
By Charles Soule (writing)
Steve McNiven (art)

YES. I've followed all of Charles Soule's Inhumans books so far. And Steve McNiven's art is good. I just worry Soule will be spread too thin to really give the story that something special.
NOVEMBER


 All-New All-Different Avengers
By Mark Waid (writing)
Adam Kubert (art)

 Nope. Not a fan of anybody on this team.
 All-New X-Men
Dennis Hopeless (writing)
Mark Bagley (art)

Nope. I love Bagley's art but it's not enough.

 All-New Wolverine
By Tom Taylor (writing)
David Lopez (art)

Nope. I like X-23 but not enough to endure Lopez's bland artwork.

 The Black Knight
By Frank Tiere (writing)
Luca Pizzari (art)

Short Listed. This book looks cool. Just like Karnak it could go either way. I will be very interested to see how this book is received. As of now it's a maybe.

Carnage
By Gerry Conway (writing)
Mike Perkins (art)

Nope. If this was the Carnage of old, the crazy serial killer, then maybe. But it's not.
Deadpool
By Gerry Duggan (writing)
Mike Hawthorne (art)

Nope. Gerry Duggan will write a fun book but Deadpool isn't a character for me.
 Drax
By CM Punk & Cullen Bunn (writing)
Scott Hepburn (art)

Short Listed. I really want to say yes to this one but Drax is such a hard character to write. Only four men have ever written the character well, Jim Starlin, Keith Giffen, Dan Abnett, and Andy Lanning. I have no idea who the hell CM Punk is. Cullen Bunn could bring the hurt though. As of now it's a maybe.
 All-New Hawkeye
By Jeff Lemire (writing)
Ramon Perez (art)

Nope. This book will be good but I just don't have room for it. Go for it if you have the room.

 Hercules
By Dan Abnett (writing)
Luke Ross (art)

Short Listed. I never liked the character but Dan Abnett always delivers. This book will be good but it all depends on whether I have the room for it or not. The art will be great too.

 Howard the Duck
By Chip Zdarsky (writing)
Joe Quinones (art)

Never in a million years. Nothing against the character but no. It's weird that Marvel lists this book as a Guardians of the Galaxy book. Really?

 The Illuminati
By Josh Williamson (writing)
Shawn Crystal (art)

Nope. Looks like a lame version of the Thunderbolts.

 Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
By Amy Reeder & Brandon Monteclare (writing)
Natacha Bustos (art)

Never gonna get it. Never gonna get it. Wah wah waaaaahh yeah!

 Ms. Marvel
By G. Willow Wilson (writing)
Takeshi Miyazawa & Adrian Alphona (art)

Nope. 

 Nova
By Sean Ryan (writing)
Cory Smith (art)

Is Richard Rider back?! Nope, it's just Sam Alexander's lame ass dad. I love Nova but this is a pale shade of what Nova used to be. Why Marvel refuses to bring back Richard Rider I have no clue. Nope. Nope. Nope. The last Nova book felt like one big broken promise.

 Silk
By Robbie Thompson (writing)
Stacey Lee (art)

Nope.

 Spider-Woman
By Dennis Hopeless (writing)
Javier Rodriguez (art)

Ha ha ha! Not on your life.

 Star-Lord
By Sam Humphries (writing)
Javier Garron (art)

Short Listed. I liked Sam Humphries's last Star-Lord book. This one will at least get on the maybe list.

 The Mighty Thor
By Jason Aaron (writing)
Russell Dauterman (art)

Nope. This one will be good but I just don't have the room.

 Ultimates
By Al Ewing (writing)
Kenneth Rocafort (art)

Short Listed. Rocafort's art is HOT. Loved his run on DC's Red Hood and the Outlaws. Too bad I only care about Captain Marvel out of all the roster. I am very curious about Galactus being there.

 Venom: Spaceknight
By Robbie Thompson (writing)
Ariel Olivetti (art)

Nope. The art will be good but no.

 The Vision
By Tom King (writing)
Gabriel H. Walta (art)

Nope. Could be interesting though.

Web Warriors
By Mike Costa (writing)
David Baldeon (art)

Nope. Too many Spidey books. This is probably the easiest to lose.

DECEMBER

 A-Force
By G. Willow Wilson (writing)
 Jorge Molina (art)

Nope. I'm all for an all woman team of Avengers. I like Medusa and Captain Marvel. But the art looks pretty bad. It'll probably be fun but it's not for me.

 All-New Inhumans
By Charles Soule & James Asmus (writing)
Stephano Caselli (art)

Nope. I'd like to get all the Inhuman books but this one is probably going to be the easiest one to drop. The characters are easily the weakest.

 Daredevil
By Charles Soule (writing)
Ron Garney (art)

Short Listed. This book looks awesome! I have loved Ron Garney's art since the 90's. Hopefully this book will bring an edge back to the character. The only thing that worries me is writer Charles Soule being spread too thin.

 Guardians of Infinity
By Dan Abnett (writing)
Frank Barberi (art)

YES! This book here is my most anticipated book. This book will be awesome! YES YES YES!

Totally Awesome Hulk
By Greg Pak (writing)
Frank Cho (art)

Ugg... yes? Only out of obligation. This book looks stupid. But I have to get it because Hulk is my absolute favorite Marvel hero. But, man, this book looks so dumb.
 Patsy Walker, Aka Hellcat!
By Kaye Leth (writing)
Brittney Williams (art)

Nope. Depsite Hellcat having once been the wife of Daimon Hellstrom and a Defender, this does not look appealing to me at all.

 Red Wolf
By Nathan Edmondson (writing)
Dalibor Talajic (art)

Short Listed. This book looks sweet. But it is another question mark, mostly the artwork. I will keep an eye on this one though, just like Karnak.

 Scarlet Witch
By James Robinson (writing)
Vanesa Del Rey (art)

Nope. I like the writer and the character but this is another book I just don't have the room for.


 Spidey
By Robbi Thompson (writing)
Nick Bradshaw (art)

Another one?! Nope. Nick Bradshaw is good though.

 Squadron Supreme
By James Robinson (writing)
Leonard Kirk (art)

Short Listed. Again I really enjoy James Robinson's writing. If this book is anything like his All-New Invaders book then it will be sure to please.

 Starbrand & Nightmask
By Greg Weisman (writing)
Domo Stanton (art)

Nope. I love that the cosmic heroes are returning but these two are perhaps the least interesting of all the outer space heroes I can think of. I'd take Monark Starstalker before these guys.

 Uncanny X-Men
By Cullen Bunn (writing)
Greg Land (art)

 Short Listed. The X-Men, like Spider-Man, are great characters, but each has so many books out there it's daunting to think about diving in. This X book shows the most promise to me.

Weirdworld
By Sam Humphries (writing)
Mike Del Mundo (art)

Hmm... Could be fun. Could be easily left behind. I'm thinking no.

STILL TO COME...


 Captain Marvel
By Tara Butters & Michele Fazekas (writing)
Kris Anka (art)

Short Listed. I suffered through three years of lack luster Captain Marvel comics from the previous two volumes. I like the character a lot, especially the legacy from which she comes from. But will this book be just another dull piece of art and unfulfilled plot like the last one? I want to get it but I feel like it will just disappoint me.

 Agents of SHIELD
By Marc Guggenheim (writing)
Artist ???

Nope. I'll settle for the TV show instead.

 Old Man Logan
By Jeff Lemire (writing)
Andrea Sorrentino (art)

Nope. Lemire will probably knock this out of the park but alas it's not for me. 

Spider-Man
By Brian Michael Bendis (writing)
Sara Pichelli (art)

My god... yet another one. This book will most likely be good. But I just don't care.

 And there you have it! 53 new number #1s and 53 new potential books to buy. I find myself in a strange situation. With all of Marvel's previous comics coming to an end the time to GET OUT has never been better. But yet it is equally a great time to get started. My personal finances aren't as abundant as they used to be. So I am torn as to what to do. Marvel has disappointed me greatly in recent years. I am very tempted to get out... but yet I see many books that could be enjoyable.

Let's recap...

THE PULL LIST                                                         THE SHORT LIST

Doctor Strange                                                                            Karnak

Uncanny Inhumans                                                            Black Knight

Guardians of Infinity                                                                        Drax

Totally Awesome Hulk... ugg...                                                  Hercules

Star-Lord 

Ultimates

Red Wolf 

Daredevil 

Squadron Supreme

Uncanny X-Men

Captain Marvel

 I could survive on four titles, save money, and devote more cash to back issues. Or I could go balls deep. It's a problem I know. And I'm sure once January solicitations are released there will be even more new books announced, maybe even some that look irresistible. I don't know what to do. The idea of maybe getting out completely (from New comic books) is also tempting.

What are you guys doing? Playing it conservatively? Going for it? Getting out? Leave comments below and let me know. I've always been a sucker for peer pressure.

4 comments:

  1. Never get out. You will only regret it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after this long I think it would be nearly impossible. Which books do you think are the most interesting?

      Delete
  2. I will tell you who CM Punk is and without him we would not have In Cahoots. He's a former pro wrestler, now UFC Fighter who is now starting to dabble in comics. He's written a short in a Vertigo book and did one of the stories in the Thor annual (and actually did the best story in my opinion). He was really on fire in wrestling and I was living in California and Chris and I started the show because we couldn't stop talking about what he was doing.

    As for me here's what my pull is looking like; Dr. Strange, Mighty Thor, Daredevil (which I'm cautious on), Squadron Supreme, All-New All-Different Avengers (Waid's got me in right now), Karnak (It's Warren Ellis and he seems like such a strange pick that he must have a very specific idea, and Ellis' Moon Knight was amazing), Spider-Man (I've been reading the Miles stuff since he debuted and really like the character), Black Knight, All-New X-Men and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur as Devil Dinosaur is one of my favorite weird characters in the Marvel universe although I don't know if anything will top his time in Next W.A.V.E.

    I will say that the current Ant-Man book is actually fairly good as I picked up the first trade and I was really impressed, I have a feeling I'll just read that in trades though. Weirdworld I'm still on the fence about along with a few of the other X books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your pull list! Black Knight, Karnak, Squadron Supreme, Daredevil, Mighty Thor, Dr. Strange, and All-New All-Different Avengers I believe will all be good books. I'll probably add Drax to my pull list too.

      I really want to try Karnak, Daredevil, Black Knight, and Hercules too. Gosh, I could go way into the deep end or just get my feet wet. I don't know! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

      Delete